Tough Sticks and Summer Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wazzuqer

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
Moses Lake, WA
My last batches came out tougher chewing than normal. Not sure if it’s because I went from a 50-50 to a 60-40 Deer to pork ratio, or put too much smoke on them or what? Used the same seasoning’s I always use Mitchlitch/SpokaneSpice, and taste was great as always just tougher, smoke time and tempts were the same as I always use as well...Thanks...

I would tend to lean towards over cooked. Or possible bad (not like rancid bad but possibly old) batch of casings. I use a 70/30 ratio of wild game to pork and the only times I've had toughness has been with one of those two things being the issue. or a combination of both.

W, My ratio is usually 60-40 with no problems, I agree with Dirt Sailor about casings not prepared well for the sticks(soak 24 hours with a splash of vinegar) .If the summer sausage was a natural casing then you could have the same problem. Always start your sausage out at LOW temps110-120 for at least an hour and bump up slowly as a high start temp causes toughness.

All great thing to check and think about thanks. The casing were from last year but in the fridge , but every year I have a few left over that I use on the next batch. Air flow might of been it , was very windy on smoke day, so I closed the dampener to1/2- 1/3 open, usually its wide open, I probably started out to high150 and went up from there.

All great thing to check and think about thanks. The casing were from last year but in the fridge , but every year I have a few left over that I use on the next batch. Air flow might of been it , was very windy on smoke day, so I closed the dampener to1/2- 1/3 open, usually its wide open, I probably started out to high150 and went up from there.
My last batches came out tougher chewing than normal. Not sure if it’s because I went from a 50-50 to a 60-40 Deer to pork ratio, or put too much smoke on them or what? Used the same seasoning’s I always use Mitchlitch/SpokaneSpice, and taste was great as always just tougher, smoke time and tempts were the same as I always use as well...Thanks...
Sometimes casings can be tough. Try to soak then
Sometimes casings can be tough. Try soaking overnight and reminding. That seems to remove more salt. Als

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky