Tough Pork

Discussion in 'Pork' started by gj pit club, Sep 9, 2015.

1. gj pit club

gj pit club Newbie

I bought 2 pork butts at Sam's Club.  Every other time I have bought there, they have turned out great.  This time the roasts were a lot more dry and tough than normal, and had to be cut - they would not pull apart.  I cooked them for multiple hours at 225 degrees.  At 160, I pulled them out and foiled them, and took them out at 197 to let them rest for 25 or so minutes.  What did I do wrong?  Or is it possible that some pork butts just have not near as much fat and don't turn out good?

2. stickyfingers

stickyfingers Smoking Fanatic

At 197, I would have let them rest in a cooler for a couple of hours.

3. noboundaries

noboundaries Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Always remember the probe test before you pull the meat off the smoker.  I've had tough cuts of meat (butts/briskets/chuckies) surprise me at how high an IT I had to take them before they became tender.   

demosthenes9 likes this.
  4. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

GJ, Try an IT of 205 with a rest .

5. GaryHibbert

GaryHibbert Smoking Guru OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Hey GJ.  [​IMG]    I always take my butts to an IT of 205 (or there-a-bouts).  Then a rest.

Gary

6. doctord1955

doctord1955 Smoking Fanatic

I agree with Sticky several hours wrapped in towels in a cooler go long ways toward tender and moist!

7. demosthenes9

demosthenes9 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

you didn't cook them long enough.  As Noboundaries said, use the probe test.

8. gpb11

gpb11 Meat Mopper

As above, temperature tells you when to start testing for probe tender. Animals can and will vary.

9. eman

eman Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member

no matter what the thermo says .Grab the bone and wiggle it. if it pulls out of the butt easily it's done.

10. gj pit club

gj pit club Newbie

Thank you all very much