Total "Newb"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

black88coupe

Original poster
Jul 3, 2012
Michigan
I bought a BBQ Pro charcoal smoker. Probably the cheapest one they sell. I wanna give this a try but I've never done this before.  I thought I would try some pork chops or a pork loin for my first attempt. My experience is limited to a gas grille. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mitch.

Forgot to mention that I was planning on using some Matchlight brand charcoal and also some Hickory chips as well.  Thanks.

I guess I kinda put the cart ahead of the horse.  I live in MI., married with two kids.  Industrial Firefighter. Trying to improve my cooking skills so I thought I would check this site out.  Can't wait to learn some stuff. Mitch.

Hi Mitch! 
welcome1.gif
 [color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]to SMF!!! We're happy you found us! You've come to the right place, there's lot's of great people here who love to share and help each other out! You can use the search bar at the top to find almost anything you want to know! When you decide what you want to smoke try searching it and you will get a lot of great tips and recipes![/color]

You might want to check out Jeff's Free 5 day E-course, it will teach you all the basics and a lot more: http://www.smoking-meat.com/smoking-basics-ecourse.html

Hello and 
welcome1.gif
to SMF - glad to have you

I would recommend against the matchlight as it off gasses and will ruin the taste of your food. 

Thanks guys.  I appreciate the advice.  Been checking the build threads- which are pretty awesome.  I have a MIG welder and I'm sensing a build of my own.

Howdy, Mitch!

I think that MatchLight charcoal you mentioned would be a bad choice. Use regular Kingsford briquettes or those made by other companies. I just bought a couple of bags of Stubbs on the Lowes sale but haven't tried them yet.

The MatchLight has been treated with an accelerant (I think).

Now that you've bought your grill, get yourself a Weber charcoal starter chimney. It will start charcoal with a few sheets of newspaper and you won't get any of the taste of the accelerant.

I use a cola can alcohol stove that I made to light my briquettes with a small amount of isopropyl alcohol - maybe a half inch in the bottom. Check YouTube for good videos on making them. Of course, I like to tinker and reuse stuff instead of throwing it away.

Just my 2cents worth.

Howdy, Mitch!
I think that MatchLight charcoal you mentioned would be a bad choice. Use regular Kingsford briquettes or those made by other companies. I just bought a couple of bags of Stubbs on the Lowes sale but haven't tried them yet.
The MatchLight has been treated with an accelerant (I think).
Now that you've bought your grill, get yourself a Weber charcoal starter chimney. It will start charcoal with a few sheets of newspaper and you won't get any of the taste of the accelerant.
I use a cola can alcohol stove that I made to light my briquettes with a small amount of isopropyl alcohol - maybe a half inch in the bottom. Check YouTube for good videos on making them. Of course, I like to tinker and reuse stuff instead of throwing it away.
Just my 2cents worth.
Thanks a lot.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky