• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Too much smoke?

robby6pack

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 6, 2017
I have always used my dehydrator for jerky, but would like to try my smoker. How much "smoke time" for jerky. Total cooking time looks like 4-6 hours. How long do you folks actually smoke it? Thanks in advance? Oh, using a MES with mailbox for the smoke.

jcam222

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
Well the basic theory I read is that meat takes on smoke for about 4 hours and after that you are cooking. That said I have seen people debate that.

robby6pack

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 6, 2017
Well the basic theory I read is that meat takes on smoke for about 4 hours and after that you are cooking. That said I have seen people debate that.
Makes sense, although I was thinking much less as the meat is cut so thin.

bradger

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 12, 2019
well any one that has the time or smokers could test this theory. smoke some at 4, some the full 6 and see

jcam222

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
I run a charcoal cabinet smoker with wood chunks and lump charcoal. Mine has some degree of smoke for the duration of a cook.

bregent

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 1, 2014
Well the basic theory I read is that meat takes on smoke for about 4 hours and after that you are cooking.
I'd call that an old wives tale - possible origins are folks confusing smoke ring with smoke flavor - smoke ring stops developing after meat reaches about 165F. At any rate, smoke flavor keeps on increasing as long as you're smoking.

Steve H

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
I run with smoke the entire time. Works fine for me.

cmayna

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 23, 2012
For Jerky, I do 2 hours of smoke and then 4 hours of dehydrator. 4-6 hours of smoke is just way too much for me.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying! (But that's how we keep the lights on.)

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks