Too much smoke?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

robby6pack

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
I have always used my dehydrator for jerky, but would like to try my smoker. How much "smoke time" for jerky. Total cooking time looks like 4-6 hours. How long do you folks actually smoke it? Thanks in advance? Oh, using a MES with mailbox for the smoke.

Well the basic theory I read is that meat takes on smoke for about 4 hours and after that you are cooking. That said I have seen people debate that.

Well the basic theory I read is that meat takes on smoke for about 4 hours and after that you are cooking. That said I have seen people debate that.
Makes sense, although I was thinking much less as the meat is cut so thin.

well any one that has the time or smokers could test this theory. smoke some at 4, some the full 6 and see

I run a charcoal cabinet smoker with wood chunks and lump charcoal. Mine has some degree of smoke for the duration of a cook.

Well the basic theory I read is that meat takes on smoke for about 4 hours and after that you are cooking.

I'd call that an old wives tale - possible origins are folks confusing smoke ring with smoke flavor - smoke ring stops developing after meat reaches about 165F. At any rate, smoke flavor keeps on increasing as long as you're smoking.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky