too much cure #1 what to do?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brett74

Original poster
Jul 14, 2013
I make 4 pounds of back loin into bacon. I used 4 table spoons of cure #1 and 4 teaspoons of sugar as a rub. I then put them into a ziplock bag and poured maple syrup over it. left it in fridge for 6 days. It is in the smoker now. going to smoke for 3 hours till internal temp is 152. is this safe to eat? will It be too salty? any other info would be great. thanks Brett

I got confused with mortons tenderquick in a recipe I was using. should have been 1 teaspoon of cure #1.

yeahthat.gif

David

Nitrate in that amount  could poison you. Chunk it in the trash. Do Not let any animals get hold of it either.

Don't worry, there is a reason it required no discussion. You are not the only person to misread a recipe. You should have seen my experiment with Salt Peter, long before I knew of here or anywhere else to assist me. I knew I needed a quick cure to be save, just not the right way to do it. LOL My brisket was grey!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky