Too much bark on my Bark,

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

murfinator55

Original poster
Jul 21, 2017
Calgary Alberta
Hi all,

So my goal is to get competition grade ribs. My problem is I'm getting too much bark and the ribs get the bitter flavor and too dry. Why would this be? I've added sauce before I put them in foil in the past is this causing the bark build up?

We need more info about your process - Type of smoker, temps, time, type of ribs? Bitter flavor is often a sign of poor fire management.

Hi all,

So my goal is to get competition grade ribs. My problem is I'm getting too much bark and the ribs get the bitter flavor and too dry. Why would this be? I've added sauce before I put them in foil in the past is this causing the bark build up?

What Smoker are you smoking with?
It sounds like you're giving it too heavy a smoke.
A light smoke for a long time is Great.
However a Heavy (Thick) smoke for even a short time can give you Bitter tasting Bark.

Bear

Reactions: bdskelly
Just using a propane 48" vertical smoker. I usually use Applewood chips for pork. Usually try and keep the temp about 250-275. Used baby back ribs in the past. Just switched it up to side ribs. I suspect my first few times I added way too much wood cause I was getting thick white smoke, that's too much right?

Just using a propane 48" vertical smoker. I usually use Applewood chips for pork. Usually try and keep the temp about 250-275. Used baby back ribs in the past. Just switched it up to side ribs. I suspect my first few times I added way too much wood cause I was getting thick white smoke, that's too much right?

Like Bear said, too much smoke. You want thin smoke. Often referred to as thin blue smoke, or TBS.
Apple wood should yield a good flavor in reserved amounts. (Although, I'm a Hickory guy myself)
Try working on lowering the amount of smoke, and check your IT of your fattest ribs meat. (Not always easy to do)
When ever I get thick smoke I know I'm in trouble.
Sneek up on the IT, try to not force it.

In an effort to help, maybe browse around in the 3,2,1, Ribs posts? Just to see if it can get you back on track.

Reactions: murfinator55

Yup---That's what I suspected---Bitter taste = Too Thick a Smoke.

Bear

Reactions: murfinator55
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky