Too good to be true?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CrownPoint210

Original poster
Sep 17, 2019
Hi All,
I am usually just a fly on the wall but wanted your thoughts and opinions on an offset smoker. I have been looking and saving for a offset smoker like a Yoder Wichita, Workhorse, or Lonestar. I was looking online and I came across a company/link that came in my Google search. http://bbquepits.com/. I was looking at the 20' All American and it is only $1350?! They claim to use non-used 1/4 steel, insulated pits as well as FREE shipping and crating?! This is at least $1200 less than the Lonestar and Wichita I was looking at and that is without their freight charges.

They mention on their site why they are so cheap but I'm concerned about the quality of them eating shipping and freight, etc. etc.. I mean, I live in Buffalo, NY (Go Bills!) and the company is based out of Laredo, Texas. Sorry for the long read but are any of you aware of this company, what are your thoughts? If this is legit my wife gave me the go ahead to purchase but something doesn't seem right. I appreciate all the incredible knowledge you all share so we can have fun and feed our family and friends. TIA

Reactions: JLeonard
Prices look. And with free shipping really nice.
Although the Old Country BBQs on their site look a lot like the ones sold at academy for a bit less.

Jim

The website you're looking at is the official website for Old Country BBQ Pits, their website is a bit dated and I understand the confusion. If you look up the address on google maps, you'll see the OCBP sign on the building, that's their storage warehouse, and their pits are made in Mexico a mile or two from that location. The OC pits are honestly the best bang for the buck stick burners and you won't be disappointed.

I will agree with what BigPapa says about Old Country Pits being a great bargain. I don't know if you have Academy Sports and Outdoor stores in your region...but if you do you could look at these pits up close and in person. You can also check them out on Academy's website.

They are generally much more sturdy, built of of thicker steel, and are more well built than any of the big box store products. I believe they use 1/4" steel in all their builds. The only negative thing I've ever heard is that their quality control has been inconsistent at times in regards to fit and finish. But for the difference in cost between an OC pit and a comparable Yoder, Lonestar, or Workhorse, seems like a good option.

If you decide to give them a try, please let us know how it turns out!

Red

I will agree with what BigPapa says about Old Country Pits being a great bargain. I don't know if you have Academy Sports and Outdoor stores in your region...but if you do you could look at these pits up close and in person. You can also check them out on Academy's website.

They are generally much more sturdy, built of of thicker steel, and are more well built than any of the big box store products. I believe they use 1/4" steel in all their builds. The only negative thing I've ever heard is that their quality control has been inconsistent at times in regards to fit and finish. But for the difference in cost between an OC pit and a comparable Yoder, Lonestar, or Workhorse, seems like a good option.

If you decide to give them a try, please let us know how it turns out!

Red
True. I was in Fort Worth a few years ago and went to Academy to check them out. The quality difference from pit to pit on the floor was stark. Various things but noticeable.

It is what led me to further research, this forum, almost pulling the trigger on a $3200 Yoder Loaded Wichita, and then actually getting my Bell Fab for $950 after reading about them here.

Reactions: bauchjw
True. I was in Fort Worth a few years ago and went to Academy to check them out. The quality difference from pit to pit on the floor was stark. Various things but noticeable.

It is what led me to further research, this forum, almost pulling the trigger on a $3200 Yoder Loaded Wichita, and then actually getting my Bell Fab for $950 after reading about them here.
I got the Bell Fab as well. the whole thing is 3/8 inch steel. while I did have to seal the doors, it has been great. With shipping was $1070

Attachments

• E9E18607-5EF5-448B-A932-45CE8BC94372.jpeg
    E9E18607-5EF5-448B-A932-45CE8BC94372.jpeg
    314.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 8D57BBA4-5D5C-4A3F-BB99-7A0B0364FF9A.jpeg
    8D57BBA4-5D5C-4A3F-BB99-7A0B0364FF9A.jpeg
    345.6 KB · Views: 48
  • AE98ED46-D545-4B21-8441-7D6105B10291.jpeg
    AE98ED46-D545-4B21-8441-7D6105B10291.jpeg
    158.8 KB · Views: 49

I got the Bell Fab as well. the whole thing is 3/8 inch steel. while I did have to seal the doors, it has been great. With shipping was $1070

Bell fab has been posting some smokers for sale on Facebook. Check it out

I talked with Craig Bell a couple times back when I was thinking about ordering a custom pit. His shop is only about 45 minutes from me. A really nice guy! My impression of him was he'll shoot you straight, and builds a well-made pit at a very reasonable price.

Red

I talked with Craig Bell a couple times back when I was thinking about ordering a custom pit. His shop is only about 45 minutes from me. A really nice guy! My impression of him was he'll shoot you straight, and builds a well-made pit at a very reasonable price.

Red
He will do basically whatever you want. I wish I was 45 minutes from him lol.

Reactions: seenred
No sealing of doors for me. Leaks a little, not enough to cause an issue. Great looking pit there.

I wish I had known and thought of the hinged shelf. Guess I'll have to get a second Bell Fab sometime.

Sorry for the multiple posts, but Craig is great after the sale as well. Gave me some great tips on running my pit and sent me some parts for free when my firebox handle broke. Great guy.

I think he basically said to stop watching Youtube and leave the biscuits in the oven haha.

He will do basically whatever you want. I wish I was 45 minutes from him lol.

Agreed! At the time, I was looking for an insulated gravity feed cabinet smoker that was more affordable than a Stumps (eventually ended up with my Southern Q Limo Jr.)

I reached out to him to see if he could custom build me one. At that time (maybe 5-6 years ago?) GFs were less common, and since he mostly specializes in horizontal offsets, he admitted he didn't know enough about them, and wasn't sure he could do me right. I appreciated that he wouldn't promise something he wasn't positive he could deliver.

Red

I got by BelFab from Craig last year. It’s a massive towable one with a flattop and warming box, only 4500 it was an amazing price and solid as you can get. His builds are a bit rough, but they are as dependable snd solid as you can get. For a patio version you’d really get an amazing price and a heritage smoker you could pass along!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky