Tonight's Salmon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stevetheteacher

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 29, 2015
Pennsauken, NJ
I marinated my salmon steaks in Goya Mojo Criollo overnight. I filled the charcoal chimney half way and then lit it.  Meanwhile, I had 20 coals in the firebox awaiting. I poured the red hot coals into the coals in the firebox. When the ashes were white, I added two small pieces of hickory logs.

The temp was at 225 approx. for a little while, but then it jumped to near 300. I tried to lower the heat by closing the vents, but that didn't help much. I was able to lower the heat by lifting the firebox lid causing the heat to drop somewhat. What is a better way to lower the heat?

I maintained the temp. for a few hours, adding wood occasionally and more charcoal once. Once the salmon was removed from pit, the temp dropped. Of course, I wasn't maintaining the fire actively. However, it did concern me that my temp dropped because what would I have done if I needed to maintain the temp. for a longer period of time? How do you guys get the temp. to remain 200-225 for five, six, or even 12 hours???

Don't get me wrong - I was pleased with the salmon, but wonder what will happen when I smoke a longer cooking meat.

PS: My daughter dug into the salmon before I had a chance to take a pic.

Steve,

Sorry but I have no experience with Salmon in a charcoal smoker, but will say most who smoke Salmon do it at much lower temps such as starting out at 130* for an hour, then bumping up to 150* for another hour then up to 160* until an IT of 145* is met.  How long did you brine, room dry and then smoke?  For the temps you talked about, I wouldn't think it would take very long to reach the IT of 145*. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky