Tonight's Dinner ... Forgot Pics ... Stuffed Venison Backstrap

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinGame

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 11, 2018
Sullivan, IN
Finally got around to trying a recipe ... Stuffed Venison Backstrap. The recipe comes from Malcom Reed at "howtobbqright.com". One darn good recipe. Where can you go wrong ... bacon and venison backstraps. My "city slicker" wife is always leary of my venison meals, but this one went over very well. Once she had the first bite, she was asking for a second slice. Add a fresh green beans and tomatoes from the garden and all was good.

I apologize for no pics. I am terrible about remembering them. But in my defense, it has been a troubling day.

It started a few days ago when I contacted Camp Chef concerning an issue I was having with a button/knob on the Smoke Pro controller not functioning all the time. They instructed me to remove the knob on the and I would find a small nut that needed to be tightened. The knob did not slip right off and I asked if this was normal and should I apply a little more pressure. Their service rep, said yes, give it a wiggled and pull a little harder.

Today I followed their instructions only to have the switch completely break. Opened the controller and found the switch in 2 pieces. Now I am waiting on them to give me a resolution. They no longer use this controller (I upgraded to this controller only 2 years ago) and not sure if they have parts. If no parts, I will need a new controller.

So now my pellet burner is inoperable and tonight's dinner was cooked on the Weber propane. None the less, the meal was very good. Highly recommend trying Malcom's recipe if you have a venison or elk backstrap to smoke.

Hate there aren't pics but understand. I've seen his recipe and wanted to try. Glad you liked it.......I have some back strap so will give it a go on your recommendation

Reactions: SmokinGame
Hate there aren't pics but understand. I've seen his recipe and wanted to try. Glad you liked it.......I have some back strap so will give it a go on your recommendation

His recipe calls for using Killer Hogs BBQ rub as the outside seasoning, but I didn't have any. So used John Henry's Bourbon rub. Worked well.

I've used a recipe for stuffed backstrap a couple of times that didn't butterfly it. I used kabob skewers to "hollow" it out. This wasn't smoked, but as I remember, the family loved it.

Bacon improves anything. Yours is a recipe I'm gonna have to try.

Reactions: SmokinGame
Sorry also to hear the troubles Mark with your controller .

This cook sounds good, Will have to read the recipe.

And funny I am the same as Chris gmc2003 gmc2003 , Wife likes Deer meat , me I can take it or leave it. If there was a cheese burger or BBQ deer chops , I would take the burger. But Mona would take my chop also.

So I will look this up, because I cook for her ... Incase she is looking over my shoulder again Chris.

David

So sorry to hear about your smoker, but from my experience CS has very good customer service. That recipe looks amazing & glad to hear yours turned out so well even with the smoker issues.
Al

Well Mark, I just happen to have a couple of venison loins in the freezer and now a new way to cook them...Thanks

Hopefully CC will have you back in action soon Mark ! I've seen that recipe but haven't tried it so thanks for the recommendation! I believe I still have 2 in the freezer.

Keith

Might have to give that a go! Lot's of venison here, good thing we both like it. And it looks delicious too! ( I have a vivid imagination!) Good luck with getting your smoker up and running again.

Ryan

Update ... Camp Chef customer service is shipping me a new controller. Hope to be back running in 10 days or so. Wish me luck. If the CC fails me now, I will be in the market for a new pellet pooper. Thanks, Inscrutable Inscrutable for giving me your feedback on your RecTeq.

Reactions: 912smoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky