Tomorrow will be my first smoke !

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ginsco

Original poster
Mar 24, 2015
SW Ohio
Howdy all,

After spending hours reading on this site, I bought a MES 30 and took advantage of Todd's 20 percent off deal.I bought the amazing pellet smoker and a bunch of different flavored pellets.

Tomorrow I'm going to do 2 beer can chickens for my neihbors birthday party. I'm making the rubs now. 1 will be done with the snake bite rub and the other will be done with Bubba Chix rub. Both sound awesome ! I'm going to rub them down and let them sit overnight.

As far as wood , I was thinking of using apple pellets unless any of you think I should use something different.

I also have Alder,Pecan,Hickory,Cherry,Pit master blend,and Mesquite,

Wish me luck ! LOL

Scott

Howdy all,

After spending hours reading on this site, I bought a MES 30 and took advantage of Todd's 20 percent off deal.I bought the amazing pellet smoker and a bunch of different flavored pellets.

Tomorrow I'm going to do 2 beer can chickens for my neihbors birthday party. I'm making the rubs now. 1 will be done with the snake bite rub and the other will be done with Bubba Chix rub. Both sound awesome ! I'm going to rub them down and let them sit overnight.

As far as wood , I was thinking of using apple pellets unless any of you think I should use something different.

I also have Alder,Pecan,Hickory,Cherry,Pit master blend,and Mesquite,

Wish me luck ! LOL

Scott
Scott I found Pecan to be excellent with Chicken.

Good luck.

A few comments on your plan (these of course are just my opinion):

I would brine the chickens tonight and rub an hour before smoking. The brine will make a huge difference and it is a must for me when doing chicken.

I would also do a test run ahead of time to see how the temps are reading (MES units are notoriously inaccurate) and see how well the AMNPS are working (they work great right out of the box for some people and take a lot of modifications for others).

Regardless, smoked chicken is hard to beat so I'm sure your guests will be thrilled.

Last edited:
I just got my AMZNPS and only bought the Pitmaster choice pellets. I love them, but am curious about other flavors. I'm going to order more while this sale is on, I need to order 6' probes for my Maverick anyway. Enjoy your smoke tomorrow! You are of course posting pics, right? Looking forward to it, David.

I just got my AMZNPS and only bought the Pitmaster choice pellets. I love them, but am curious about other flavors. I'm going to order more while this sale is on, I need to order 6' probes for my Maverick anyway. Enjoy your smoke tomorrow! You are of course posting pics, right? Looking forward to it, David.
Not trying to hijack the thread, but order the corn cob pellets. You won't be disappointed. They gave my hams an awesome sweet flavor.

As far as pellets I have only had the pit masters blend. But I think it would go great with chicken!:drool

Thanks for the advice guys. I did the dry run last night as bmaddox suggested and learned a bit about my temps. I found that the built in temp was reading about 16 degrees lower than my maveric. I went with Pecan as Tropics suggested and the chickens are in now.

I will report back tomorrow with how they turned out.

Thanks a bunch.

Scott

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky