Tommy's World Class Chili

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My post wasn't meant as a flame or anything. I am genuinely curious. I have always thought green stuff had to be VERY small or non-existant. Afterall, you're cooking a bowl of "Red"... I have always made sure none were visable in my turn-in container. And fat at the top is a BIG no-no! I use London Broil so I get a really lean and flavorful meat and cut it the size of your pinky fingernail. I have never added pork for fear of grease showing up.
PDT_Armataz_01_13.gif

And I add beer to my chili...Tommy doesn't add beer so now I am really wondering.. lol
icon_razz.gif

And, no chili should have beans, pasta or corn in it...
PDT_Armataz_01_33.gif

lol az- in texas, if it has pasta & corn it's called goulash... same here, but the beer has to be lone star or shiner(thats for nostalga)and ya have to have the requisite stuffed on it's back armadiller w/ a lone star bottle in it's craw(yes i said craw-we are 1/2 coon*zz 'round here).

I like a guy who uses vadalia onions, great flavor and sweet too. I use them in my Georgia baked beans along with diced peaches and powdered honey.

I'm a newbie to the SMF and found this wonderful recipe that I'm anxious to give a try!

I do have one question: when the recipe states "6# stewed tomatoes / tomato sauce" how many cans, of what size, does that equate to? Any recommendations?

Thanks!!

2 8oz cans=16oz, 16oz=1lb add the ounces and convert to lbs. Get biggest size can you can find and go from there.

I will have to try this. I usually put some home made smoked sausage it ours. I also put a jar of drained but not rinsed sauerkraut in it. Tried it once, and have been doing it ever since.

weird, chilli with no chilli beans. Does the # symbol mean lbs ?
And when would you need 3 gallons of chilli :-) I wouldn't even have room in my freezer - or any pot big enough to cook it in - even the preserving pans are only 2 gallons lol.

I might try chopping it down a tad (okay a lot !) and see how it cooks.
No way would I have ever thought to put celery in a chilli. :-)

Aardvark....I made this chili and chopped it by 2/3(I made a gallon of it in other words). Never should have done that. It was by far the best chili I have had or made!! Very flavorful!! When done I wished I had the other two gallons! And follow the recipe regardless if you would never make it that way. I know recipes are only guides but this one works extremely well.

IMHO this recipe is right on! - now I do not compare myself to any of the folks on here, I am by far an amature from any direction that you look at it, but I have won a few chili competitions - nothing like state level comps, just local for fun type comps - this is a great recipe. I make some minor changes - for example, instead of "sausage", I add andoulie sausage. I do add the steak, folks love it when they expect nothing more than cheap HB and they get a bite of well seasoned steak on their spoon. As for beans...technically adding beans makes it chili con-carne- only at the kind of comps where you pay money to enter, do they require absolutely NO beans. For competitors, no beans, but for most regular folks, beans are absloutely expected. Great recipe!
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

glad this thread got bumped up....im tryin this recipe this weekend

i gotta have my chili...buuuuuuuuuuuuurp ;)

How much worcestershire does it take to marinade 10 lbs of sirlion steak for 1 hour ? It has to be more than 2 tsp?

I've been waiting patiently to try this recipe. weather is starting to whisper chili so I made it yesterday. a few differences but only on amounts.
6lbs of sirloin, I smoked it for 1 hr with lots of hickory. than seared it before cutting it into pieces. 1 1/2 lbs of bacon and 2 lbs of sausage. everything else stayed the same cept I used 4 large cans of Bush's chili pintos in chili sauce.

It hit very close to the 4 gallon mark on my pot, which I did outside on the propane fire.

It's got a perfect enough heat to satisfy hot heads like me and also enjoy if you can't take the heat.

one thing tho, It killed a Hundred dollar bill at the grocery. lol.

Thanks for the recipe, good chance this will be what I do for chili from here on out.

Kev

This sounds Great! Since the weather is changing and it's getting to be Chili seson out here, this is going on the To Do list,

Thanks
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Well September just hit and that means the start of chili season. I love this recipe. I have made it at least half a dozen times.

Here are my twists
I substitute the chili season packets for other spices. Usually straight ancho chili powder, smoked paprika, salt then more oregano and cumin. I don't add the salt until finish so I can judge how salty it is from the bacon. I also salt my veggies as they cook. I looked at the Carol Shelby's chili seasoning and it looked like just a bunch of stuff I already had.

Instead of sausage I use Chili meat. The wife just doesn't like sausage so I add extra spices to compensate.

I use baby bellas instead of white mushrooms.

If I am doing sirloin I throw on some spicy steak rub that I make. It is mostly more of the same spices already in the recipe and then on to the grill.

The best change I have ever made to this recipe though is to skip the sirloin and go right for the brisket. I have made it twice now with half a brisket and it is amazing.

So I just pulled a pot of this off the stove and I bow down to you sir!

I didnt use the sirloin, and I did baby bellas but everything else was the exact same. MY OH MY I am going to enjoy eating this over the next week or so!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Well thanks for finding this thread and bumping it up to the present! Sounds like the kind of chili I make, but since I'm not Texan (ohthankgawd
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif
) gotta have beans for a proper chili!

I've definitely put celery in my chili, but only the young, inner stalks that are pale yellow, with the small leaves and all. Add a "something" to the flavor.

In the South, a good chili has got to have green peppers in it, and have never, ever, heard of mushrooms in it so there ya go. It's a regional thing!

Always had some nice sliced decent cut of meat in it to make it a meat-main-dish plate...Tommy has made that into an art, and the idea of half a smoked brisket in there sounds unbelievably good.

Tommy's recipe has already been added to my cooking "bible" and many thanks to the rest of you all posters who've contributed pointers, ideas and variations. Much appreciated.

Some of the rewards of running across archive-level posts like this one is you find such interesting things.....It was strange but nice to see a post by SUMOSMOKE referring to herself as a "newbie" !

PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Well, I got to work today and there on the wall was the gauntlet I have been waiting for. My department is hosting a chili cook off. The only problem is two other guys in my department read this forum. So this is the official dibs call on this recipe if anyone else at work is reading this. You know who you are.
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

Thanks Tommy for sharing your chili recipe. I used it for a chili feed this week at work and won the prize for best chili out of 16 entries. Good stuff!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky