Todays Smoke - In Progress

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

matts

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Central Illinois
I got a variety of items on the smoker today.  Some things for dinner tonight and some for a party next weekend.  Starting out this morning getting a couple butts ready.  I decided to try something I have done on pot roasts.  I peeled and cut up some apples.  Stabbing slits in the butts, I took slices of the apples and pushed them into the butts.  After that it was time for some yellow mustard and a rub.

After the butts are ready, I fired up the big rig.  While that is warming up I start prepping tonight dinner.  First comes some short ribs.  They are just getting a rub and going on the smoker.

Next for the smoker come a big trout fillet.  This is getting a coat of syrup and some Old Bay rub.

Everything is ready and waiting on the smoker.

Smoker is ready and loaded.  Today is windy and on the cooler side.  So I hope I can keep this thing stable.  The butts will stay in the pans.  I like to collect as much as the juices as I can to separate later for a finishing sauce. 

Started the smoker with some lump.  Adding cherry on top.  So far so good.  Threw in the apple scraps for the heck of it.

Will keep you posted.

After 3 hours, the short ribs and trout are done.

This is the first time I have ever had short ribs and man o man, they are good.  They smoked a bit faster than I thought but an early dinner is ok.  The fish tastes great as well. 

Started out this smoke with lump coal and for some reason today it just didn't put out the heat and was burning quick.  Now I am using kingsford and getting better smoother heat.  Now just waiting on the butts for the rest of the night.

Awesome !

Now ya did it---I gotta go make me a couple BLTs---Pronto!

Thanks for showing Matt,

Hungry Bear

After 8 hours, the pork is done.  It went quick today, don't know why, but I am not complaining.  Now I get to go to bed at a decent hour and hunt in the morning.  But the work isn't over yet.  Another hour of its nap and I can start a pullin.  I foiled the pans at 165 and pulled the coals at 203.  Its been an hour after I pulled the coals and smoker has cooled down to 100 degrees, but the pork has climbed to 207.  But its starting to drop now.

Nice job Matt I can't wait to see the butts. What I see so far, looks absolutely fantastic.

Wow what a great looking smoke. It all looks really tasty
points.gif
if I could  

icon_cool.gif

Now your short ribs look awesome and I will have to try that really soon. Like there are some in the freezer right now (but not for long) Now your butt looks like it came out rightous too. Great job and keep on smokin.
points.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky