Today is First Smoke day!

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by yardbird, Jan 6, 2012.

1. yardbird

yardbird Meat Mopper

I posted in the beef area about the 3 pound meatloaf I did as the first smoke of the day. It ran 6 hrs 45 min. When that came out, I put 2 chickens in, switched from hickory to apple and raised the temp in the smoker to 325. 2 hrs and 30 minutes later I got these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They're resting under foild right now. I just HAVE to taste one.  Brined for about 8 hours. No rub. Just EVOO on them before they went in.

2. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks like it has been a great day - they look tasty 

3. yardbird

yardbird Meat Mopper

Once I made the windbreak things went a LOT smoother for me. 42 degrees with 30mph winds had me hoppin' this morning. Those chickens are actually both the same color. One was right under a light and the other wasn't. I need to leave the foil on for just a bit longer, but then I'm rippin' a leg off one of 'em. :)  I just have to taste it.

4. mike323

mike323 Newbie

Nice Job, Today was also my first smoke. I went for two 4 1/2 birds one with lemon/pepper and the other cajun. Thanks to all of the great info on this site I had no problems. Brine them for 6 hours used apple wood and smoked them for 3 hours at 250. They taste great and were so juicy. Next weeks project ribs.   

5. yardbird

yardbird Meat Mopper

Good Golly! That leg just fell off, I swear. :)

[​IMG]

This is the juiciest chicken I've had ever. I just HAD to steal a leg and try it (shared it with my son and gave my wife a taste) even though we just ate dinner ... heheh.

My son said, "Oh my god..... can you fit a turkey in there?" MUAHahahahahah.... why of COURSE I can!

I'm really pretty amazed that everything (a 3 pound meatloaf and then 2 chickens) came out THIS GOOD for a first time running a smoker.

I'm just .... almost ... speechless.

6. rdknb

rdknb Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That Chicken looks perfect

7. yardbird

yardbird Meat Mopper

Thanks, RdKnB. It sure tastes perfect. :)

8. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I guess you had an awesome day. Both the meatloaf & the chickens look fabulous!

9. fpnmf

fpnmf Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Fl
    Looks delicious!!

Craig

10. raptor700

raptor700 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

x2

[​IMG][​IMG]

11. africanmeat

africanmeat Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Yes it looks great sorry for missing it