Tocabe blueberry chipotle BBQ sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CheapSmoker

Fire Starter
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 10, 2011
Mokena, il
So im a big fan of Guy Feiri and DDD. Anyway a while back I was watching an episode on Tocabe and american indian joint. In the episode the cover BBQ Bison Ribs with a blueberry chipotle BBQ sauce. Not only that but they covered the ingredients, while not in the exact amounts I think I managed to figure it out pretty close and it's a big crowd please around my circle of BBQ friends.

Tocabe Blueberry Chipotle BBQ Sauce
2c. Water
½c. Sugar
¾c. ACV
¼c. Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce (adjust this for heat)
2 pints Fresh Blueberries
4 Big Cloves of Garlic
1c. Regular BBQ Sauce
1c. Ketchup
1c. Honey (I love Honey more than Whinnied the Pooh)
4T Butter
Kosher/Sea salt to taste

Put this all in a pot. I crush the berries and with a potato smasher a bit and crush the garlic with a knife, but it's not required for a such a long cook. Simmer for a good 1½-2 hrs, let cool a bit and puree it.

If anyone has experience with canning I'd love to be able to make this preservable so I don't have to spend all this time everytime I want.

Hope you guys like it, I've seen many variations of this style of sauce but not one with this ingredient set list.

Reactions: JLeonard and Ishi
So from the research I've done we should be able to can this sauce with the removal of the butter. I think the only question is about the pH on how it should be processed.

Made the recipie without the butter and test the pH and it looks like we are good to go for water bathing this one
PXL_20200926_213256348.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky