• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

To Wrap OR not to Wrap

Twinrebs

Joined Feb 25, 2020
I just bought a Traeger Pellet Smoker from a friend. Still in very good shape. I'm a novice when it comes to this stuff so here goes my question. Regarding a Boston Butt: one friend says to put it in the smoker unwrapped for 3-4 hours at 225 then take it out and wrap until temp gets to 195 F. Another friend says to put it in the smoker at 225 unwrapped and let it cook longer (12 hours or so) without wrapping and take it out at 195 F then let rest for 4 hours.

Settle this argument for me. Thanks!

smokerjim

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 14, 2014
I should of added i'm not sure you'll settle your argument, not sure if there is a right or wrong way.

SmokinVOLfan

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 27, 2018
Jim said it right. Not a right or wrong way. Grab two butts and try one each way and see which one you like better. I personally like to wrap mine about 160 degrees and take to 203 and then pull it out and let it rest in a cooler with old towels for a minimum of two hours before I pull it. Drink a few cold ones and enjoy the process!

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2015
there are people in both camps here...wrappers and non wrappers.

I stopped wrapping anything.

normanaj

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 2, 2014
I personally don't wrap.Finish temp can vary...195 is not the be all temp,I've had butts go as high as 208 before done.195 is a temp to start testing for doneness.

chilerelleno

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2016
There is no one answer to whether to wrap or not.
Just like whether to wrap using foil or paper, it's a personal preference, and it's one that can vary the meat and/or temp/method, desired results and more.

I can think of another half-dozen to a dozen highly debatable questions regarding whether to or not to with BBQ.

Personally, sometimes I do, most times I don't.

SmokinEdge

Meat Mopper
Joined Jan 18, 2020
My problem with Traeger style grills was that even at 225* the bottom of the butt or brisket would turn into shoe leather if left in over 8 hrs or more. If it has the upper grate use that. If on the grill surface I would wrap at about 4-5 hrs in. That will stop the bottom of the meat growing a shoe sole.

JCAP

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 12, 2019
I never wrap butts but I don’t think there’s a right or wrong answer to the question. Try both!

noboundaries

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 7, 2013
I like hassle free smokes, so I don't wrap 98% of the time. When I do wrap, I use butcher paper.

The VAST majority of my pork butts are probe tender north of 200F.

chopsaw

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
I don't wrap butts . Smoker temp 250 . Internal temp 205 .
so ,,,, fat cap up or down ?

SmokinVOLfan

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 27, 2018
so ,,,, fat cap up or down ?
I have always done mine fat cap down. Got a buddy that swears by fat cap up in a pan the whole smoke so it just cooks and soaks in its own fat and juices. How about you?

chopsaw

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
I have always done mine fat cap down. Got a buddy that swears by fat cap up in a pan the whole smoke so it just cooks and soaks in its own fat and juices. How about you?
That was just another either way works / matter of opinion question . Up .

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I have done butts in pans before & still do when letting them go overnight. However I put them in the pan fat side down, so the exposed meat will take on the smoke & build a nice bark. I don't wrap but I do baste the butt with the pan juices. Mine are usually done around 203-205.
Al

SecondHandSmoker

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 30, 2018
Wrapping boils down to personal preference and whether or not you want a little help pushing through the stall.
Since all of my pork butt smokes are overnighters, I don't wrap, mop, or spritz either.

zwiller

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 16, 2016
I have seen it mentioned more than a few times that pellet grills have that issue and would imagine there has to be a tuning plate or deflector available. Yes, googled and there is: amazon" style="max-width:120px">
Back when I first started hanging here I'd see these posts of butts that looked black like a meteor and always thought it looked nasty. However, I kept seeing posts that talked about how good the bark was and so I ended up dead set trying to replicate it. Took me a few tries (search pellicle) but finally pulled it off, and it forever changed me. IMO the bark is the best part of PP. So much that I half butts to get more of it. Firmly in the no wrap camp... I am also team captain in 275F. :emoji_laughing:

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.