To use a pan vs. setting on the grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scottyaz

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
I've seen several folks put the meat they are going to smoke in a pan.

Is this just to catch the juices, or does it do something to the flavor. just curious.

I don't set meat in the pan. In my opinion this allows the meat to get soggy in it's own juices and does not allow for a uniform bark.

With beef cuts I will usually put a pan under the meat to collect the drippings, strain, freeze, and scoop the fat off giving me a really good au jus base.

some meats i do set in a pan with a rack that saves the juices for a gravy and keep the meat out of it. good
icon_question.gif

I used a pan for my salmon recently...worked GREAT..(a little pam sprayed in it 1st)

I also now use a pan for the first hr of a chicken pieces smoke, then I put the chicken on the rack for the last hr.
It seems to allow the chicken to skin over real good for that 1st hr, then all the juices are trapped for that last hr and it is the BEST chicken I have even had... I will not stop doing it this way....

for anything else, I have not used a pan

For a BUTT, put the pan on the rack below to catch some of those juices...then after you 'pull' your pork you can add some of that back in to keep it moist while serving.

I like to have the meat resting right on the rack, juices dripping into a pan placed down on the next rack. This way I save all the juices and the smoke caresses both sides of the meat. Also the bark is formed on both the top and bottom of the meat.

Laid in a pan the juices stew the bottom layer of the meat instead of roasting it at the correct temperature. Better flavour and texture in my not so humble opinion.

I would never put meat in a pan it would just get all soggy. I have used a pan under beef to make au ju or gravy.

No pan here either. I like the fact that the fat that comes out from the meat goes into the drip pan and not soaking back into the meat. I have heart related issues and I try not to ingest any of the fat drippings.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky