To Spin a Chicken or Not, I was going to . Mother nature tricked me.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
To Spin a Chicken or Not, I was going to . Mother Nature tricked me.

Well I wanted to spin a chicken on my Char Broiler , had every thing ready . Had the bird all brined with ( chopsaw chopsaw ) Rich's brine.
Let it soak for 24 hours, than I rubbed it with ground Summer Savory and Paprika and ground and coarse Black Pepper.
Tied it up like a mad cowboy so I could mount it to the roto stick the next day, and off to the fridge for a over night rest.

DSC_7006.JPG DSC_7007.JPG DSC_7040.JPG
DSC_7041.JPG

so today was not looking or sounding good for deck smoking on the grill. So made the decision and stuck the bird on her new bum mount
and off to the indoor smoker, Oh well what are you going to do, work with what you have

DSC_7057.JPG

In the smoker for 2 1/2 hours at approx. 250 - 260 deg with cherry chunks
came out very nice and very juicy . I love brined chicken and @chopsaws is a great one .
Same as what I have used but this time with the lemon extract. Nice addition.
Pulled out at 167deg. IT let her rest on the counter as we got the rest of supper finished up.

DSC_7060.JPG DSC_7061.JPG

Chopped up into sections. look how moist that is

DSC_7069.JPG

DSC_7070.JPG

The flavour , just perfect and Mona even liked it as the cherry smoke was nice and mild for her.
Plated up and a little potato salad , I was very happy with the out come .
BUT I will return and spin a darn chicken an other day , lol

DSC_7071.JPG

Thanks for getting to the end
I am off to grab some more Smoked Upside Down Pineapple Cake

David

Attachments

• DSC_7063.JPG
    DSC_7063.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Spun or not David that is one good looking chicken.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Spun or not David that is one good looking chicken.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks Chris for the like and the comment

It was very moist and the ground summer savory is a great addition , and the brine with
the lemon extract that Rich uses is a given for my bird brines from now on

David

Great color on that . Nice and juicy . Did you use the lemon extract ?

Thanks rich for the comment

Yes I did use the lemon extract as per your brine, first time for the lemon, it was subtle but there.
I have used Pop's and now the way you mix. Also for pork I use it with Maple Extract same as Kevin Foamy did
I think the colour would have been stronger if I had spun it , this will happen soon.

David

Good looking bird David, way to get it done! So you have a smoker that works inside your house, is that right? My hens came out OK, thinking about a lamb roast today as long as the spinner is all setup, be about 75º here. RAY
DSCN0088.JPG

Very very nice David!! I have a couple of Cornish hens in the freezer you got me thinking about getting out for supper this evening. That's one beautiful bird sir!!

Robert

Looks Killer. I also know who to partner with in the steer tie event at the local rodeo now.

• Haha
Good looking bird David, way to get it done! So you have a smoker that works inside your house, is that right? My hens came out OK, thinking about a lamb roast today as long as the spinner is all setup, be about 75º here. RAY
View attachment 661418

Thanks Ray for the like and the comment

Yours looks wonderful Ray , and sorry for the confusion. I said off to the indoor smoker and I see the issue.
But My smoker is inside the " Smokers Shed " I built for it , I don't mind standing in there or running back and forth to the house etc. It warm, lights and radio,

DSC_2133 - Copy (2).JPG . DSC_2155.JPG
( Older pictures from last year )

David

Reactions: sawhorseray
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky