To Mustard or not to Mustard...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have personally done both and I found that the mustard dosen't leave any taste and it gives something to hold the dry rub. It almost turns into a paste and turns into a great bark. This is just what I've done. Hope it helps.

I could be wrong, but Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m guessing that the vinegar in mustard helps tenderize the meat a bit, but it doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t leave any aftertaste…soooo! Why not! Try honey mustard sometime, for a little sweetness!
wink.gif

If you're doing more than one rack try one with and one without. I have not used mustard on my ribs, so I can't tell you if there is any difference...

I personally do not care for mustard taste, but you will never find me smoking my meat with out it.

I just did some ribs and used mustard on them too. It was/is very tasty.

If you have never done it before you have to at least try it once.

It's worth a try. I've done it and it didn't leave an impression on me. I don't normally use it as my ribs don't have any trouble gooing up the rub to turn into that wonderful bark...

When I use mustard, I put it on both sides. Sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't. Can't really tell much difference either way.

if you use it be sure and get your membrane off before you put the mustard on.

I have used yellow mustard and the spicy brown mustard, but not honey mustard. I couldn't tell any difference between the yellow, the spicy brown and the ribs with no mustard at all. I put my rub on the ribs and cover them with plastic wrap and put back in the fridge for a few hours or overnight and the rub always sticks real well no matter if I use mustard or not. If your meat was extremely dry and you did not want to put it back in the fridge I would say the mustard would be the way to go. Just my $.02 worth.

Hi There Scotty!

I have applied my rubs with and without mustard as a base and I honestly was not able to tell any difference what so ever either in the flavor or in the rub sticking to the ribs.

just my two cents!

ranger72 :)

I used to slather yellow mustard on the meat that I was going to apply a rub to with the understanding that the mustard would help the rub adhere to the meat and not leave behine a mustard taste. I have since stopped using the mustard and just apply my rub to the meat. When the jucies in the meat makes the initial rub wet, I apply another layer of rub.

Now that there are a number of flavored mustards out there, it would be interesting to see if the flavor added to the mustard would be noticable on the meat after smoking.

This is exactly what I was wondering. I was concerned about the sugar in the Honey mustard maybe burning or causing a bitter taste but guess I shouldn't be too worried about it since my rub I make has brown sugar in it.

g

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky