To brine or not to brine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TexasBornTexasBred

Original poster
Apr 4, 2018
Hey guys,
I was planning on making Jeff's bacon wrapped chicken legs this weekend. The recipe doesn't say anything about brining, but in other places on the website he says to always brine chicken. Does this apply only to whole chickens and chicken quarters? Anyone made this before?

Thanks

Hey guys,
I was planning on making Jeff's bacon wrapped chicken legs this weekend. The recipe doesn't say anything about brining, but in other places on the website he says to always brine chicken. Does this apply only to whole chickens and chicken quarters? Anyone made this before?

Thanks
Texan (:)) the bacon will keep it moist enough, but (the caveat) flavor enhancement is part of reason to brine. Dry or wet. It will add some sort of flavor depending on brine contents.
Kit

Reactions: TexasBornTexasBred
I’m sure the bacon will keep it moist enough and that’s why brining wasn’t suggested. Then again what do I know? I reading about a Texan who’s about to make chicken.... thought you guys only ate beef???

Seriously though I doubt you’ll need to brine with the bacon. Bacon wrapped chicken breasts come out super juicy! Bacon helps everything!

Good luck. Post some pics.

Scott

Brining will help make the chicken moist... may I suggest....
weigh out the chicken... weigh out 1/2 that weight in water or better yet, vegetable stock...
Add 3% of that total weight in salt.... Brine in the refer for 24 hours or so....

The chicken will not be salty... the veggie stock adds a wonderful flavor to poultry... and the chicken will be moist after cooking....

4FBC9772-4731-4068-B0CD-2EEAC520D790.jpeg

Reactions: brute
Warmed up last night with some shrimp stuffed bacon wrapped poppers. Chicken was great tonight. I think that’s a good start!

Looks fantastic . Nice job . So did you brine or not ? Maybe I missed it .

My thinking.... A brine penetrates the meat for depth of flavor... Buttermilk is an acid to tenderize and coat the meat...

I brined with buttermilk and salt for a day. Then seasoned and marinated a day. Smoking on day 3. Chicken was moist but could have been more moist in my opinion. I think this was more leaving it on too long vs. brining. Internal temp on my thermometer was ideal at 165. I opened it up and put the probe in other cuts and read lower so I left it on longer. I think that I may have gotten a lower reading because I opened the lid.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky