To All

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hawghead

Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
Hey all my name is Jason. I live in Kossuth,MS just outside of Corinth. I am 34yrs. old and have been grilling most of my life, all of my adult life. I am looking to venture over into the smoking world and need some advice. I am looking for an awsome entry level smoker, I have around $2000 to spend. I found the Beams smokers and Kesler smokers both of which have pretty awesome looking rigs for the price range I'm in, certainly not a Lang or Gator Pitt but some nice looking rigs nonetheless. Does anyone know anything about these two different builders and their smokers? They seem to offer alot for the money. I am looking for an occational catering rig for church gatherings and also maybe a small competition cookoff every once in a while and maybe even smoking a few butts for co-workers. These two are also close to home just about a 3hr drive from home vs the 8-10hr to all the rest. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks and if there is anything else you'd like to know about me feel free to ask. 

Welcome to SMF glad you joined us. You'll find lots of good info and some great recipes here. As far as those two brands I haven't seen either but I have heard some things (not sure if true or not) about the Beam smokers that would make me very cautious if dealing with them. You may also want to check out the Bubba Grills several of out members have them and really like them. I have a Lang personally and it's a great smoker. You can do a search on either of the smokers here and see what kind of comments have been made. Good luck with your decision and let us know what you end up getting

Last edited:
First of all welcome to SMF. I am not familiar with either of those smokers, but if I had $2000 to spend I'd buy a Lang. Just my 2 cents.

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

welcome1.gif
glad to have you here

Hey guys sorry it has taken so long to reply, I only have internet on my iPhone or at work and my phone wont let me save any comments on here and they are really strict about us using the work computer for internet use.

I have decided to go with the Bubba Smoker I have a 250R with the 2FF on hold. I got a good deal on it and couldn't pass it up. So Thanks you all for all of your comments.

Hi Everyone,I'm Oldsarge1 from Lynchburg, Tn. We just finished building our house here about three years ago and I had Half a Pallet of Brick left over. I had been reading the forum here for about a year or so and getting the monthly news letters. I decided to use the rest of the brick and try to build a smoker,I'm new at this so I went to the Libraery of Congress web site and found Pictures and drawings of old smokers from the late 1700's on foreward. I found a set of plans I liked and scaled it down to fit my oneday to be courtyard. the past two winters I've been helping a friend to tare down a few Barns for the wood so I also used some 100yer old wood along with the Brick. I wish I could Post a couple of Pic's of it but I don't know how right now. Anyway,My question to Y'all is this. About a year back I received a newsletter with the instructions on how to smoke cheese. I didn't print it out and My other Puter Crashed and I lost everything. I was wondering if any of you guys may have kept that recipe ( Instructions ) or know where I may find it. I'm New at this smoking Business but really got into it when I ran across an old Book that had info about the way they did it in the old days and a Friend came to visit an Brought a Ham he got when he Kill a Hog on his ranch in Texas.Well,I'm Running off at the Mouth so I'll shut up and see if any of y'all can Help. Thanks In advance.
Oldsarge1

Old Sarge, Welcome to SMF, there are lots of guys here and we all want to help you out. 1st swing back to the roll call section and click on Start a new thread and introduce yourself to everyone.  Then use the Search Bar near the top of the page and type in anything you want to know about, like, smoking cheese, this will give you all the selections on smoking cheese, and let me assure you they will be plenty as we have lots of folks here that smoke cheese.  You can use the Search Bar to find about anything you want to know.  For more specific searches go to the WIKI page, scroll down to the alphabetic list and click on the first letter of the subject you are looking for like if your looking for information about cheese select the "C", this will bring up all the topics that begin with the letter C and pic from that list to see detailed information on that subject.  I would also strongly encourage you to sign up for the Free 5 day E-Course that Jeff offers, it is an excellent tool that I am sure you will learn alot about smoking meat from.  I took it after I had been smoking wood for about 6 years and man I learned thing that had been a problem for me and after taking the course I knew exactly what to do, and I learned some things that I had never thought about.  It's free so please sign up for it. Sarge, we all had to start our addiction to smoking somewhere so we have all been where you are at right now, just remember this, the only dumb question you can ask here......is the one that you do not ask!  Again, we are so glad to have you with us and please take a moment to go by the Roll Call, Click on Start a new thread, put in a Subject and then introduce yourself to the whole crew that way everyone will see it, you put this one down good but it is in someone else's introduction so fix your own and that will put you on the page.  We are just tickled pink to have you here now let's get on with business. Hope things are fine down in Lynchburg!

Your SMF Friend,

Barry 
biggrin.gif

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky