To all the Wild Eyed Southern boys out there...be careful.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
It seems like Michael is going strong. You shouldn't have a problem keeping the AMNPS lit with the added wind. Rain may be a problem though. Stay safe, and if your in it's path remember to vacuum seal any important papers and keep them in your dishwasher.

Chris

I feel very sorry for the folks in the way of this thing.
Some people are going to loose everything.
With global warming, I think storms like this are going to become more common, and living in Florida, it's only a matter of time before one hits us. Irma last year came right over my house and it took me a couple of weeks to clean up the mess. Luckily no damage to the house or my Mustang!
Al

With global warming, I think storms like this are going to become more common, and living in Florida, it's only a matter of time before one hits us. Irma last year came right over my house and it took me a couple of weeks to clean up the mess. Luckily no damage to the house or my Mustang!
Al

Exactly!
Seems like they keep getting stronger & stronger & worse & worse.
Where does it end?

My Best to all in Michael's path---Prayers for you All.

Bear

I have numerous friends and customers in the direct path of this hurricane.
I hope none are injured/killed, and that they sustain minimal damages.

Thankfully there is no science that proves an increase in hurricanes, minor or major due to any global climate change.
Records show that hurricanes were more common before any of the global cooling/warming theories were put forward.
There has actually been a decrease in the number and overall strength of hurricanes impacting North and Central America.
Climate change is a fact, the earth and sun go through cycles and weather is affected.
I remember being taught in school that we were headed into another cold period, and the alarmist cried "Ice Age!"
And more recently we were told that the polar ice caps would already be permanently gone.
Thankfully none of this has come to pass.
And I hope it never does.

Al

I too feel bad for folks who lose due to natural disasters.

but global warming has no effect on the intensities or frequencies of these storms.

the ONLY reason the public thinks so, is because of the 24hr news cycles that bring each and every little storm to the forefront.

when I was a kid, you seldom heard about them, but rest assured they did occur on occasion.

While the number and severity of storms has decreased the amount of damage done has exponentially increased due to the rising population and coordinating levels of housing, businesses and infrastructure.
The latter combined with better accounting of damages and more thorough reporting, leads people to believe that the storms are getting worse, which is not true.

Last edited:
Reactions: nanuk
Michael looks to be very memorable. As it approaches landfall, it's getting stronger, not weaker.

Earlier this morning, the sustained wind speed was 145 mph, and the barometric air pressure was 928 millibars. The air pressure is what drives the wind speed; the lower the air pressure, the higher the wind speed. About an hour ago, it was 919 millibars and the wind speed had increased to 155 mph. If this continues, and it appears it will, Michael is about to enter the record books as being among the "Top Ten" most intense hurricanes to make landfall in the U.S since 1851.

Good luck to all who are about to get slammed.

Hope your southern folks are all good. We're worried about our daughter in Social Circle GA. She's never been thru anything like this before. Unless you want count the time I ate brussell sprouts.

Chris

Bunny and I are praying for those affected by Michael and hope for a fast recovery while they rebuild. Living in SW Florida for 57 years hurricanes have been swirling around and are just a part of living here. However, we’ve had enough of Florida and are moving to Knoxville,TN. as soon as we sell our hurricane code rated house.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky