Tis The Season

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Norwester55

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 1, 2018
Oregon
Finally cooled down a bit so I could get started smoking cheese. The local Waremart had Tillamook medium cheddar on sale this summer for $3.98 a 2# block so of course I ended up with 20 lbs! :) I smoked 6 lbs the other night, 6 lbs last night, and I'll do another 6 tonight and then I can move on to some other types. Still have some Pepper Jack, Gouda and Muenster from last winter but ran out of cheddar a week or two ago.

IMG_20191019_165840.jpg

I bet that delicious. I need to try doing cheese at some point.
If you can cut the cheese you can smoke it too. :D

How are you smoking your cheese and what type of wood?
I use an AMNPS tray and usually pecan dust. I ran out of pecan and am smoking the last 6 lbs right now with alder dust. It'll be quite a bit milder than the pecan but thought I'd give it a try.

Reactions: jcam222
That looks good. How long are you smoking them?
Thanks, I went 3 hrs on this batch and 3 1/2 on the batch tonite with the alder dust. I'm not sure, I'll give it a few days to mellow but I think I think I like the alder smoke better. Oh well, I've got a lot more to smoke this winter.

Thanks, I went 3 hrs on this batch and 3 1/2 on the batch tonite with the alder dust. I'm not sure, I'll give it a few days to mellow but I think I think I like the alder smoke better. Oh well, I've got a lot more to smoke this winter.

I do the same. Between 3-4 hours. The Alder should give a nice mild flavor. And I do have some Alder pellets left so I'm going to do some white cheddar with it.

That cheese looks great took on some nice color! I've got a drawer full I have been waiting to do myself. I usually run apple pellets 3-4 hours. One of these days I will get some dust and try it out!

That cheese looks great took on some nice color! I've got a drawer full I have been waiting to do myself. I usually run apple pellets 3-4 hours. One of these days I will get some dust and try it out!
Thanks, I don't know what kind of temperature difference you get between pellets or dust but I think I only had a 4-5* rise in temperature while smoking these. Plus its edible right out of the smoker! I made this dust out of pellets but it stinks so bad while drying I'm going to buy dust or maybe dry it outside in the smoker next time. Its nasty!

That's a whole lot of cheese your smoking. Cheddar is one of my favorites and yours looks really good.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks, I like Gouda and pepper jack too but nothing beats cheddar!

Looks good. Did Mild Cheddar, Sharp Cheddar, and Swiss this past weekend for the first time and have to say, the Sharp Cheddar is by far the best. Used GMG Fruitwood pellets for 2 hours.

Thanks, I don't know what kind of temperature difference you get between pellets or dust but I think I only had a 4-5* rise in temperature while smoking these. Plus its edible right out of the smoker! I made this dust out of pellets but it stinks so bad while drying I'm going to buy dust or maybe dry it outside in the smoker next time. Its nasty!

I found pellets added 20-30F compared to dust. Yes, dust has little to no temp increase. I had serious doubts that using dust would be much different or even better than using pellets but boy was I wrong. Total game changer. I have since started using dust for everything I smoke. I bought a $10 meat grinder on ebay to make dust but plan to make larger batches with wet and dry approach.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky