Tips for my Mini-WSM build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Notes taken.

Thanks, fellas.

welder.gif

I might wait on cutting the expanded for my charcoal ring until I know what my clearance is height-wise....
33.gif
Here you go Duke.  From my build post.

The first thing was to build the charcoal hopper. This is done by using expanded wire and cutting it to the 3" height. Wrap the Exp wire around the charcoal grate supplied with the Smoke Joe. I used rebar twist wire to hold it in place.  ….Which would have been fine and held well.  But my brother in-law has a welder close by so I asked him to spot weld the wire in place.

More on the build here.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/155130/building-a-mini-weber-smokey-mountain-in-texas-mini-wsm

Enjoy your build my friend! 

Brian 

Rolling this has turned out to be more of a challenge than expected. It's hard with the two different diameters. I have it welded now but still needs to be worked some more.

As you can see it as a bit of a "lean" to it. Nothing too major that can't be figured out.

Looking Good   just paint it like the leaning tower of Pisa !!!      I know I'm not to funny

Gary

Looking to see if you have any followup, Duke? I am thinking about doing this same thing myself instead of buying a pot. Seems cheaper and should give a better fit if I make all the right cuts.

Looking to see if you have any followup, Duke? I am thinking about doing this same thing myself instead of buying a pot. Seems cheaper and should give a better fit if I make all the right cuts.
Works real well. I've used it 12-15 times. Uses a lot less fuel than my 18" WSM, so it's perfect some nights when it's just the two of us.

The only thing that bothers me is that the aluminum center piece is not air tight around the base. Charcoal will not extinguish by closing the vents, and when it rains it leaks in. Not sure if anyone who uses the pot has this problem, but it's an easy fix by just removing the center section and packing it up like a regular Smokey Joe.

All the materials turned out to be free, except the s/s hardware ($4 or so), so I really can't complain here.

sausage.gif

My biggest problem is that the pot gets stuck on the base once it's lit and I can't get it apart to add fuel. Heat expension

That is a good thing. It means you have a good seal.

I'm still in a cast from my broken wrist but once it comes off a mini is going to be built and I'll use my own sheet metal for it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky