tips and tricks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokeyjoe.ie

Original poster
Oct 14, 2017
Hi guys and gals, chef of 20 years plus looking to open up an low and slow themed restaurant, ill be quite honest im new to it all ,meaning although im a very accomplished chef ive little experience in cooking this type of grub , main things to ask are ,1 .what restaurant type of smoker should i be using , looking at cookshack pelet smokers as ive no way of being outside with a wood smoker
2. whats the best way of keeping ahead on brisket for restaurant hours ,ie ,keepin warm always..hope you can hep me in this road im going down, and can give me some pointer ill defo need ,, restaurant will open in republic of ireland next spring, many thanks

The smoker is limited to what you can find near you and how much you can spend.
The best combo of simplicity and smoke flavor profile will be a gravity feed charcoal smoker, with hard wood added to the charcoal and ash catch bin.
This type will produce far superior flavor compared to a pellet burner.
The possible exception to that statement is that here in the USA we can buy pecan shell pellets and the early reports are that the smoke flavor profile is outstanding, perhaps a rival to offset stick burners. However, these pellets are expensive over here and the cost to ship to you might be too high.
You will also need a "holding oven" or steam cabinet, and it has to be able too reliably maintain 140/150 degrees F.
If you plan on selling enough meat, that is to say more than you can cook at one time, you must be able to "hold" it at a food safe temp for a long time, say 12 to 18 hours.
All the top guns here in Texas use this process to not only keep a supply of cooked meat at the ready for large crowds of customers but to tenderize the meat as well as it "rests".

The smoker is limited to what you can find near you and how much you can spend.
The best combo of simplicity and smoke flavor profile will be a gravity feed charcoal smoker, with hard wood added to the charcoal and ash catch bin.
This type will produce far superior flavor compared to a pellet burner.
The possible exception to that statement is that here in the USA we can buy pecan shell pellets and the early reports are that the smoke flavor profile is outstanding, perhaps a rival to offset stick burners. However, these pellets are expensive over here and the cost to ship to you might be too high.
You will also need a "holding oven" or steam cabinet, and it has to be able to reliably maintain 140/150 degrees F.
If you plan on selling enough meat, that is to say more than you can cook at one time, you must be able to "hold" it at a food safe temp for a long time, say 12 to 18 hours.
All the top guns here in Texas use this process to not only keep a supply of cooked meat at the ready for large crowds of customers but to tenderize the meat as well as it "rests".

here in the USA we can buy pecan shell pellets and the early reports are that the smoke flavor profile is outstanding, perhaps a rival to offset stick burners.
New to smoking (and the forum), but I have an offset. Can i just use straight up pecan shells for smoking in a stickburner? I bet that would taste awesome!

I doubt it, they need to be ground up and compressed into pellets or blocks first.

New to smoking (and the forum), but I have an offset. Can i just use straight up pecan shells for smoking in a stickburner? I bet that would taste awesome!

Only way to find out is to do a test run and see if they will burn and create a flame enough to bring smoker up t temp..

But YES.. Pecan is awesome as that is the only wood (splits)
I cook with...

From Smokinpecan website:
Were you looking for a natural and flavorful way to enhance your BBQ? Look no further than pecan shells! These often overlooked shells are an excellent fuel source for smoking meat, offering a unique, nutty flavor that can take your smoked meats to the next level. It is recommended to soak the shells in water before adding them to your fire or smoker and enjoy the enhanced flavor of this natural seasoning. Pecan shells burn hotter and longer than most other wood materials, making them ideal for larger cuts of meat. Find out why pit masters and meat smokers swear by pecan shells - try them today and taste the difference for yourself!

Reactions: BuddHound
I've been using pecan shell dust in a tube with my MES and its been a game changer when it comes to getting really good smoke flavor from an electric.

Reactions: 912smoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky