Tin Foil question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jamesban

Original poster
Aug 7, 2012
Dearborn Heights, Michigan
I read a few posts about Tin foil on here but had another question I didn't see. Im new to smoking. I got a cheap Brinkman and did a few mods to it so it actually cooks the meat to the correct internal temp, which it did not without the mods. Anyway I have made ribs 3 times and they were excellent every time. I made a turkey and it was dry. I didnt brine it or anything though. I had the water pan always full though. I made a pork roast and injected it every inch with garlic herb marinade. Some spots were excellent some spots were dry. Just as a roast wouldnt have been to great but shredded with BBQ sauce it was fine. I want to make a beef brisket next and do not want it to be dry. I read some people wrap it in foil the last hour or so to help keep in juices. If I open my smoker  it loses too much heat and takes way too long to recover so I dont want to do that if possible. Has anyone made a tin foil boat and set the meat in it so half is exposed and half is in its own juices? P.S. I do not want bark on it so thats not an issue.

Tin foil is cool / wrap it up won't hurt a thing
First trim all the fat betWeen the two
Pieces of brisket spend extra time doing this
Then inject with beef broth and seasonings
Mix 3 parts worchester 1 part hot sauce and garlic
Rub into meat
Then rub with. Your fav spices
Start at 350 for an hour turn down to225 to 250
Intenal temp 155 to 160
Cover with heavy towel at least 1/2 hour to rest the meat
you won't have any bark but it will be moist

also I dont have a way to regulate the heat. If it gets up to 350 Ill be all set but will have to make and install a damper in the lid to open to get the temp down some if its too high. Im going to try a small damper with 4 1" holes but will have to experiment before cooking meat in it to see how high temp gets with new thermometer installed and how much it will drop with the damper open?

Ok to answer your questions about dry Turkey
Let's start with your temps
350 breast down for one hour
Turn over and baste with oil butter
Soy sauce worchester mixture
Plus a few of your fav seasonings
Then the heat needs to be cut
Back to 225.
Brinkman smokers have hot spots
U need a baffle between the heat source
And meat . Iput it above the water pan.
To find your hot spots in your smoker
Cook chicken thighs, check which ones get done
first, you will find your hot spots, use foil
To block the hot spots.
No more dry meat 350 is ok to get the smoker
up to temp but to hot to smoke
225 to 250 is what u need
Try the chicken first and I'm sure you
will have success.

Looks like you got some good advice.

How about swinging by Roll Call and introducing yourself so we can give you a proper SMF Welcome.

While you are at it would you please update your profile to include your location?

It helps when answering questions or giving advice to know where in the world you are located.

Thanks!

I dont seem to have too much of an issue with hot spots but I put another grate right on top of the electric element and lined it with a layer or diamond lava rocks. My smoker I got for $30 had an issue getting hot enough to even cook until I did this mod to it. I also just put the fiberglass rope gasket on it. I just put a actual thermometer on it also. The only way I can regulate the temp is hope it gets to 350 and then install a damper on the top to lower the heat if it does. I just cut out the damper template but have to install it. Since I will be going back to work in 2 weeks are there any good electric smokers or is electric just not the best way to go? Thanks for all the great advice. Im glad I found this place!

Ok here we go,At 350'you won't have issues with hot spot after all
it's 350 but T 225 you will.
Ok as for electric hot plates they work fine.
My first smoker was a cheap Brinkman and I took a Burner
out of an old gas hot water tank,(just the tube and burner)
went to the hardware store and bought a brass valve and
Hooked it up to Propane
For about 6 dollars I was in business.
Something to think about.
Timmy

I can speak to the dryed out turkey...brine it.  I have been brining whole chickens for the last couple years and they are amazing.  Its has gotten to the point that I can't light a fire without throwing a chicken on too.  I perfer an all day brine, and then an overnight rub. 

\

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky