Tim's Birthday Party... A week Late...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

timstalltaletav

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 8, 2012
Llewellyn PA aka God's Country
Last Saturday I had planned on a cookout at my house but then Mother Nature said let's turn the oven up to about 95° with a ton of humidity.... So... I don't have a pool but my friend does, so I invited myself to his house with the promise of some food for the grill.

Little did he know....

I packed up my kettle in the truck along with a cooler full of beer and a cooler full of food!

Getting it started while everyone did some swimming. Pork shots on the kettle at 250°

IMG_20190727_153632521.jpg
IMG_20190727_165935147.jpg
IMG_20190727_153632521.jpg

The kettle is unbelievably versatile. Ran at 250° for about 1.5 hours without skipping a beat.

While the pork shots were cooking we played cornhole and shot some pests in the yard..
IMG_20190727_172904618.jpg

That's my buddy Gary, he can shoot iron sights better than most people shoot a scoped rifle.

After cornhole and shooting groundhogs... We had some time to kill so we hit golf balls in the pool (and into the side of the house... Fore!). No pics of this for some reason?

Then everyone got hungry so I shifted into grill master mode.

Fire up some lump, we're cranking this kettle up to 11 and breaking the knob off!
IMG_20190727_184724170_BURST001.jpg

Then the show started! Tomahawks about 3# each and 2 big filets I cut off a whole loin I bought. Probably 9#'s of dead cow on the grill.
IMG_20190727_190424461.jpg

With the filets. BTW - the sear grate is awesome, big shout out to my better half for that gift on Father's Day!
IMG_20190727_193202683.jpg

So that's the cow... While that was going I also had about 7-8#'s of crab legs in the steamer. About a 50/50 mix... 4#'s of king crab and all but 4#'s of snow crab clusters.
IMG_20190727_195929185.jpg

I tried to get one picture of everything on my big 3 foot cutting board that I used to serve it, but these heathens were ripping into it as fast as I could plate it.

There was also some awesome sweet corn that steamed with the crab. Home grown tomatoes with mozzarella and balsamic reduction, and cucumber salad for sides. But honestly no one on here cares about that stuff...

I have to say everything was made on the kettle and a steamer pot. Almost no clean up. Which was good because I drank so many beers I'm not even sure I ate any of the food...

I woke up in the passenger seat of my truck running with AC blasting and radio on. Everything was in the back packed safely away and I had a huge to-go platter in my fridge Sunday morning. I'm calling it a success!

Here's to 42 laps around the sun!

Last edited:
LOL Great post and story. How do you like that lump? I have a bag to try.

LOL Great post and story. How do you like that lump? I have a bag to try.

I like it. All big chunks of wood, no junk that I've seen yet in the bag. And pretty cheap too. I think that bag was about 10 bucks or so for 30#'s.

We also split up some cherry wood and threw it in with the fire for the steaks. I'm guessing the grate temp was about 900°. I seared the steaks and then shifted to the side to cook to medium-rare.

Reactions: pc farmer
Apparently I took a picture when I got home... It looks like I packed it up. The rachet strap on the grill is my signature... Who knows... Maybe I cleaned everything up before I got the Blackberry Brandy amnesia...?
IMG_20190727_233927615.jpg

That's a perfect way to spend the day, good food, friends and fun.

Point for sure
Chris

Fantastic Thread, and Fine Looking Vittles!!
And Thanks for Taking Out some Pennsy Grundsows!!!
Nice Job & Happy Belated Birthday, Tim!!!

What an incredible Feed!
Hot damn, Surf-n-Turf done with some fine style.
Those Tomahawks are drop dead gorgeous, the crab boil and pork shots... Wow!
Like!

And anyone who likes to plink pests in their backyard are my kind of people.
I'm an iron sight guy too, I can shoot the 600 yard line with my M1A irons.

Reactions: timstalltaletav
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky