Timing from butt completion to eating

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

endo129

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 13, 2015
Hey ya’ll,

Looking for a little expert advice, as I can’t decide which way to go.

I’m smoking about 6 lbs or so of pulled pork to eat the first night on vacation Sunday night. Thought is, it’s an easy meal that can reheat slowly in the oven while we’re all unpacking at the house and what not. Hands off prep and little clean up.

I’m torn between smoking it sooner and freezing or smoking on Thursday and not. Based on weather I’m probably looking at a Wednesday or Thursday smoke anyway. We’re leaving my house Saturday morning, stopping a couple hours away For the night with a fridge and making the 10 hour trip early Sunday. I have a yeti cooler to take it and some other cold foods in.

if I smoke Thursday, probably getting done late Thursday night, would it be ok in the fridge until Saturday morning/yeti for 2 hours/fridge for 18 more/yeti for 10-12 more or am I stretching it?

My original thought was smoke it (weather now keeping me from doing that until Wednesday) freezing and transporting allowing to slowly thaw on the way. However, I’m now concerned the yeti won’t allow it to thaw and I’ll get there with frozen pork and my hands off meal will all of a sudden not be so hands off.

Appreciate any insight on what any of you would do.
Thanks!

Like stated above. If you have a vacuum sealer you can freeze it in there and put it in a pan of boiling water for about 40 minutes whenever your ready to eat. Weather you freeze it or leave it in a fridge then cooler regardless, will still be good

Reactions: endo129
No expert here by any means........ my Grandpa used to say an 'ex' is a has-been and a 'spurt' is a drip under pressure. :emoji_laughing:

Considering you might be under some pressure with all the variables in your schedule and what not... I would take the time beforehand and smoke that roast to perfection. Then hard chill or freeze and reheat when the time is right. After-all..... showing off is half the fun.
And, since you have a fire anyways.... I'd smoke at least 3 fatties to serve at the same time (plus, they make a great breakfast slider on a Kings Hawaiian role).
kQHD5wG.jpg
I serve fattie sliders at charity events, pot lucks and the like, and about twice a month I'll smoke one to slice for breakfast for a few days.
LE7Mbmr.jpg

Pulled pork is a very forgiving meat and meal.
Smoke it as soon as time and weather conditions allow. Cool, pack and freeze.
No need to vac pack unless you want to go for the water bath reheat.
I have not noticed a quality loss from freezing pulled pork (short term in freezer bag or vac pack long term), plus it makes great ice packs in the cooler.

Reactions: endo129
That’s my standard. Make a big one and freeze. Quick easy meals any night of the week. Love making home made chipotle with it - kids crush it.
Thanks for all the insight everyone. You all never disappoint! I gotta find out more about these fatties though.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky