Time to Sharpen Grinder plates and knives...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
So, with our big wild game processing day coming up in about a month, it's time to sharpen grinder plates and knives. Since we will be doing 24 deer and 3 wild hogs this year, we will have two grinders going. So I picked up Dad's grinder today and looking at the plates and knives, yep-time for a sharpening and honing to get back into shape. I do not know the last time these were done...they were in pretty bad shape.
IMG_20210123_223113.jpg

I had started with 150grit, but had to go to 80 grit to take a lot of metal off the face of the plate because of the deep grooves. Then worked it over with 150, then 400, and finally 1000grit.

That is more like it!
IMG_20210123_225228.jpg

Also-I ran across an old post by daveomak daveomak suggesting to use a ceramic tile for the lapping surface for the sandpaper...that worked beautifully!
IMG_20210123_223149.jpg

Took me a good hour or so with the 80 grit to get the surface down enough to eliminate the lines. Not long at all with the 150, 400, and 100 grit. Pro tip-don't let your plates and knives get this bad.

Reactions: daveomak
The ceramic tile I used as a lapping surface was not flat enough; took too much metal out of the middle so the plate was high on the edges So instead, I used a piece of glass I had on hand from an old computer desk. That worked great.
IMG_20210126_072913.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky