Time To Cut Some Texas Sized T-Bones (W / Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
No doubt a T-Bone is a great steak but I've always had an aversion to buying them. To get a top shelf steak they can get a bit pricey and I have a hard time spending that much $$ on an inedible bone that either gets thrown away or is given to the dog. I know, I know, you're all gonna tell me that the bone is where the flavor is. I get that but it's still a trash item at the end of the day :emoji_astonished: Well there have been a couple posts showcasing these steaks recently so figured I'd look into getting them at a more reasonable price and reached out to my buddy Joe at CPB. He worked is magic and procured me two Shortloin roasts from the wholesale side of the company. Due to a shipping glitch only one got sent out but it arrived Friday and the second one will ship the week after Thanksgiving. Average weight for the case of two roasts is 50#. That should give me a few nice steaks...probably more than I need so offered one to a forum friend who readily accepted. Decided to go ahead and break the roast down yesterday morning.

Two pics in the packaging
005.jpg

006.jpg

Two pics out of the packaging
Misc 1 001.jpg

Misc 1 002.jpg

Got the tape measure out, did the math, and decided to cut 11 steaks 1 1/2" thick. Sterilized a new blade on the Sawzall and went to work. The first three. they have a little "sawdust" on them but that's ok
Misc 1 003.jpg

Misc 1 004.jpg

Misc 1 005.jpg

All 11 of them. Pics from a couple different angles
Misc 1 006.jpg

Misc 1 007.jpg

Misc 1 008.jpg

Vac sealed, weighed, and ready to go into the freezer
Misc 1 009.jpg

Guess what we are having for diner this evening :emoji_wink: I'd have done one last night but we were already committed to dinner with friends we had not seen for a while at their house. Average weight on these is just over 2# each. Some a little bigger, some a little smaller due to rudimentary tools and my ineptitude as a butcher but they turned out alright and will get eaten I'm sure.

Thanks for dropping in and we'll see you on the next one.

Robert

Good use of the sawzall! Ive used them to split hogs...gets the job done. That little bit of bone dust is no big deal. If you scrape most of it off your good. If some is left on you may see a little oxidation on the meat.(still not a real big deal) I've been looking for a couple years now for a good deal on a band saw. A friend of mine that I butcher with has one but it would be nice to have one at home for projects like this. Those are gonna be some good steaks!

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Tbones are my favorites only surpassed by a porterhouse, which is the best Tbone of all.
I think they come from the smaller diameter end and contain more tenderloin,so I think you have to call one or two porterhouse, no?

TXS, Nice way to make your own steaks!

Thank you!! It's nice having access to this stuff. At times it's difficult to get being that it's in very short supply and high demand, but I enjoy it when I can get it.

Nice, Looks like ya got some delicious steaks there Robert!!

Very much appreciate it. These along with some huge boneless rib eyes and a few tomahawks I'm in good shape with steaks for a while.

Robert

I've been looking for a couple years now for a good deal on a band saw.

I have a small band saw but it wouldn't work for this. Too small. I considered buying a larger one but then I took into account what a nightmare it'd be to clean the thing. not worth all the trouble IMHO so I just make due with the Sawzall. It may not be as fast cutting but it's a LOT faster to clean up and I just don't cut enough meat in this manner to justify it.

Robert

Those T-Bones look great Robert. On a quick look, I didn't realize you had 3 stacked up and I said those are really thick, lol. I love Strip steak, the Mrs. only eats Filet, so when we get these, we try to get Porterhouses since the Filets are so much bigger. But I agree that even thoughthe bone eventually gets thrown away, I find it adds a good amount of flavor to the meat. Nice work, and CPB has some awesome meats! Stay safe.

so I think you have to call one or two porterhouse, no?

I would suspect that you're probably right but I don't know enough about how all the cuts break down so I just took the easy and safe way and called them all T-Bones. Actually though the larger portion of the loin is at the larger end of the roast. As I got toward the smaller diameter end, the loin was smaller and the strip was larger. If your assessment of the Porterhouse is correct, at least 5 of these fall into that category.

Robert

Those T-Bones look great Robert. On a quick look, I didn't realize you had 3 stacked up and I said those are really thick, lol.

Thanks Mike!! There are actually 2 stacks of four and the middle stack is three. The top steak in one of the pics was the last one and it is a monster!! Pushing 2" thick. May be doing that one this evening :emoji_wink:

Robert

Boy howdy Robert those are some fine looking slabs of beef! 1&1/2" thick should cook up beautifully, that's what I cut my boneless ribeyes into when I score my holiday primes. Loooks like that swzall did a real fine job, Like! RAY

Man Robert those are going to be good!! I used to grill T bones a lot when the boys were home. Took them and my wife a long time to figure out the tail was the most tender part since their steaks rarely made it to the table with tails. Not sure why :)

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Wow those sure would look good on my kettles Robert. Great looking steaks, and I'm most definitely looking forward to your post on their cooking.

Chris

Yep, definitely see some good eating in your future Robert! Look forward to seeing them cooked up! Used that Sawzall trick many times

Ryan

They all look good from here. It's a tough call between Rib Steaks and Short Loin Steaks. An Inch and a Half Rib Steak, on the bone, is about as good as it gets for me!...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky