Time for a new smoker, why should I switch to Pellet?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Three B's

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 17, 2020
Charlotte, NC
My Smoke Hollow 44 has treated me well over the past 9 years. 6 moves and 3 states it's taken a beating and continues to pump out amazing food. But, it has been beat up a bit and parts are wearing out so it's time for me to get something new. I do utilize the large capacity so that's a must and I was thinking about switching over to the dark side and going pellet style this time. I'd love a Yoder but $2K is not happening so probably the RecTeq 700 or Camp Chef Woodwind 36.

Appealing part is the ease and the fact that I could go from a Weber Grill and SH Smoker to One unit. My concern is smoke flavor, we enjoy heavy smoke flavor that I can achieve with the propane unit. I've read that pellets don't give the food much more than a light Smokey flavor. Anyone have or tried both? What's the truth? What else should I consider?

The more I'm at this hobby...lifestyle (?)....the more my tastes change to a simple lighter smoke flavor is best. YMMV but in a pellet grill that's what you typically get. But you can add a pellet tube to the grill and amp up the smoke flavor for sure.

You might also consider a Masterbuilt gravity charcoal smoker or a WSM. It really depends on what you want to do...the Masterbuilt and pellet grills will give you a more hands off experience. The WSM does too but there is a small trial of getting it to temp.

So, what kind of smoking experience do you want?

Rec Tec all the way. I love mine and it has been flawless for 2.5 years. if you already know how to smoke meat, they are a dream. the low/extreme smoke setting does pump out the smoke. I use it for an hour or two before revving it up if I want more smoke.

Pellet spitters offer one thing, they are set and forget but the smoke profile is pretty weak.
All the smoking tubes in the world won't create the same bark and flavor of an offset stick burner.
My Webers, Kamado and pellet burner now sit under covers. (except for my Smokey Joe which rules when it comes to burgers, steaks and direct spatchcock chicken).
I'm wearing out my Masterbuilt 560 at a rapid pace, and smoke profile is the reason.
I get pellet burner ease of operation and 90% of the smoke profile of my stick burner (now sold off).

I have a Rec Teq and love it. The whole unit and WiFi make is so convenient that I almost feel like I am cheating! I fill up the hopper, dial in my temp(from my phone) and set it and forget it! With how busy life can get these days it's nice to not have to sit by the smoker and monitor everything for hours. You won't be disappointed.

I have a Camp Chef Woodwind 36. I bought it for 1100 square inches of grilling space. I also like that I put a 9 pound pork shoulder in it 2 hours ago and now I'm in bed, not tending or worrying about tending my WSM. Just my two cents.

I have the WSM with the BBQ DigiQ digital temperature controller. Well worth it.
Set it and forget it.
This was an overnight smoke, 14 hours total. 1 bag of charcoal, a few apple chunks and never worried about temp. loss or gain.
622F1830-46C9-478B-93D2-53DDC8BFCD7F.jpeg

Reactions: Millberry
Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm out on a pellet, just wouldn't be satisfied with it. I'll have to look into charcoal options. I might end up with another propane unit but I'd really like to try a new challenge.

I have a Smoke Vault Propane smoker that I have had for 7 or 8 years & I use more than my other smokers. Yes the flavor is a bit better in my WSM, & even better in my Lang. But sometimes you just don’t feel like spending the whole day tending to the smoker. So if it’s a short smoke I will probably use the SV, if it’s a long overnight smoke I will use the WSM/ Guru setup. But if it’s a nice cool day & I want the best rack of ribs & beans I’ve ever eaten then the Lang is the way to go. You just can’t beat the flavor of meat cooked over a wood fire IMHO!
Al

Reactions: Fueling Around
Chargriller just showed off their competitor to the gravity fed Masterbuilt cookers. In my experience, Chargriller tends to be better quality than Masterbuilt but we'll have to wait for people to get their hands on them. The Masterbuilt gravity fed cookers had some teething issues when they first hit the market (nowhere near as bad as the Weber Greasefire pellet burners though).

I’ve started looking at the GF smokers. Awesome price point even with some mods and a fire board. I went to Home Depot and they only had the smaller MB and I’d consider the 1050. Lowe’s didn’t have the Char Griller in stock. I really want to see them in person

Just stumbled on this thread after another struggle with my Dyna Glo offset.
I'd started thinking about a pellet smoker
But those Masterbuilt gravity smokers look pretty cool.

Was wondering about how reliable and durable the electronics are

Maybe Uncle Joe could send me another stimulus check?
:emoji_sunglasses:

Was wondering about how reliable and durable the electronics are

Reliable - 10/10. I'm only a few uses in but it's spot on with temp control. Very impressive.
Durability - TBD. I have some concerns here. There are some easy steps I think you can take to improve durability, but this really needs to be rethought in the next iteration of these from MB. You can see my previous post about what I did to improve durability of my electronic components.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky