Time between stuffing and smoking question?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

joeblow3

Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
Saginaw,Michigan
I was wondering how long it would be ok leave snack sticks in the fridge after stuffing before smoking,  would like to stuff on Thursday and won't be able to smoke until sunday.  Wondering if this would dry them out too much or change the texture??

Not sure on snack sticks but I have done it with other sausages with no issues. 

icon_cool.gif

I'm like brian and I don't see any problem with waiting to smoke after stuffing. I have never done it but it can't really hurt anything. It will just let the flavors mingle alittle longer.

I just got done grinding and stuffing 30# of venison summer sausage.  I used the Hi Mountain kit.  The directions say to let the sausages cure for at least 12 hours but not more than 24 hours.  Wonder why that is?  BTW, just so people don't expect too much from a $15 kit, the box specifically says "Grinder and stuffer not included".  Who woulda thunk it!

Boy ya'll read my mind, just posted this on Wild Game section

I just made up a big batch of venison summer sausage and used the High Mountain kit, did a small batch first time(this is my second batch) and it turned out great.

I did all the mixing and grinding Sunday night and stuffed the sausages, well for some reason I was thinking it needed to sit for 48 hours in refrigerator but looked at the box tonight and it was min 12 max 24.

Is this any big deal, don't want to make anyone sick or something, it is all in the smoker now and should be at the right temp in another hour or so.

Thanks for any help, watched a guy on YouTube and he let his sit in refrigerator for 2 days before cooking/smoking.

Also guy on Youtube put his in zip lock bags and then stuffed after sitting in refrigerator for 2 days, any pros or cons to each method

I'm not sure why they'd want you to smoke it within 24 hours, although that's what I always do, but 3 days, like you plan shouldn't be an issue in my book.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky