Thursday Evening St Louis Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Marknmd

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2022
Brookeville, Maryland
It was such a beautiful day coming! It was supposed to peak at 75 but it ended up hitting 80 degrees! I'll take it.

I had to cook something on the offset and decided on St Louis Ribs. I like the ones at Super Giant because they tend to be consistent thickness. These are about 3 lbs. Didn't need much trimming. I barely even needed to square them off which is unusual. Fourteen ribs! Sprinkled Meat Church seasoning on them back and front and sides. No binder.

DCP_8259.JPG

Crack my first IIPA. Started off with mesquite for the first hour. Here is 1 hour in - as the cooker temp gradually reached 225...

DCP_8260.JPG

Switched to post oak. A little fat dribbled on them from the temp gauge on the door above - from the fat I put on the fire. Note to self: Don't put fat in the fire when cooking ribs!

Two hours in...

DCP_8261.JPG

Color's good. Time to wrap... one layer of Reynolds Pitmaster Choice super strength foil (found at Home Depot!) ... some butter, some brown sugar, some rib candy. I will lay these meat side down into the butter.

DCP_8263.JPG

Back on the offset wrapped nice and tight, meat down... switch to Ash wood from neighbor's tree.

DCP_8264.JPG

A couple more hours go by... The sun has set but I've got my head lamp. I get the smoker to come up gradually to 275 - 280. I've got my BBQ sauce in a pot on the pot warmer. I'm on my 2nd IIPA. I check the ribs and they feel nice and soft. Open 'em up and they have a nice uniform pull-back. I gently brush the bbq sauce glaze.

DCP_8266.JPG

Crimp the foil and put them back on the smoker to let the glaze set. Smoker still at 275. Switch back to post oak. 15 minutes. I want sticky, not dribbly. Then I bring them into the kitchen.

DCP_8268.JPG

Ready to slice...

DCP_8270.JPG

Sliced by twos...

DCP_8271.JPG

Test bite...

IMG_3033.jpg

Wife said they were the best yet. Happy wife, happy life!

Errors: fat smoke and I think I'll keep the cooker temp under 275 next time - I'll try not to exceed 265 to try for better lighter color

You got some good color and hillbilly teeth on those ribs. I bet they tasted great. We're still a few weeks away from doing serious Q here, but I'm getting antsy.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: Marknmd
Thanks all! We got people comin' over, so I think I'll follow TNJAKE's lead and do these again on Sunday (even though I just did them). I'll just post the pics in this thread again and see if I can correct those two minor errors above. Maybe put the pics in the OP. Forecast tomorrow: Sunny, high 65. :-)

Edit: I think I'll switch to apple wood tomorrow.

Last edited:
Marknmd, How do you feel the ASH wood performed for you? Some say it has an off taste on food. Others have suggested not to use it because it leaves behind a ton of ash. I only ask because I have a bunch of it here on my property. I had been informed to look for downed Hickory, Maple or Cherry instead of using Ash or Oak. I have burned it at our cabin in our wood stove exclusively because that 's what's available. I've only done pork chops and ribs a couple of times with it, but that was also mixed with some store bought Hickory. Didn't hate it, but that's all I have used so far. Just curious how you liked using it in your smoker.

Marknmd, How do you feel the ASH wood performed for you? Some say it has an off taste on food. Others have suggested not to use it because it leaves behind a ton of ash in the FB. I only ask because I have a bunch of it here on my property. I had been informed to look for downed Hickory, Maple or Cherry instead of using Ash or Oak. I have burned it at our cabin in our wood stove exclusively because that 's what's available. I've only done pork chops and ribs a couple of times with it in my stick burner at home, but that was also mixed with some store bought Hickory. Didn't hate it, but that's all I have used so far. Just curious how you liked using it in your smoker.

Marknmd, How do you feel the ASH wood performed for you? Some say it has an off taste on food. Others have suggested not to use it because it leaves behind a ton of ash in the FB. I only ask because I have a bunch of it here on my property. I had been informed to look for downed Hickory, Maple or Cherry instead of using Ash or Oak. I have burned it at our cabin in our wood stove exclusively because that 's what's available. I've only done pork chops and ribs a couple of times with it in my stick burner at home, but that was also mixed with some store bought Hickory. Didn't hate it, but that's all I have used so far. Just curious how you liked using it in your smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky