Thuringer summer sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crazymoon

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 24, 2014
Great North Woods, NH
I made up a batch ( 8.5#)of Thuringer summer sausage using PS seasoning and 1 cup of buttermilk powder for tang. Pork butt was ground twice through a 1/4 inch plate:
IMG_0008.JPG

I stuffed into 61mm fibrous casings after soaking the casings for 30 minutes in luke warm water:
IMG_0017.JPG

Into the smoker for 1.5 hours at 115* with no smoke and dampers wide open:
IMG_0018.JPG

I smoked for 3 hours after the drying period and then vac sealed each stick and placed in my sous vide tub for 4 hours at 140*.The finished product was good !

IMG_0020.JPG

The money shot seems pale and doesn't do the sausage justice,texture and taste were spot on !
IMG_0021.JPG

All cut and vac sealed for future snacks at hunting camp . Thanks for looking ! CM
IMG_0022.JPG

How do you like the buttermilk powder for tang?

Also, they look perfect! I'm still getting fat-outs every time I make summer sausage.

Last edited:
How do you like the buttermilk powder for tang?

Also, they look perfect! I'm still getting fat-outs every time I make summer sausage.
O, It is the first time I used it (ran out of Fermento) and I am quite happy with the results, very nice tang! Your temps are too high if you are getting fat outs(or too much fat). I never exceed 170* in my smoker for any sausage

Reactions: Omnivore
Is 140 degrees enough? I always thought 152-155 to ensure its safe?
H67, 152+ would be the temps for finishing in the smoker. I used my sous vide to pasteurize the sausage by following a chart that gives times/temps for making a safe product.

Great looking sausage ! Like the looks through the clear casing. nice fat to meat ratio look. I can only imagine how good it tastes.

Reactions: crazymoon
I like the way you think. I'm cleaning out the freezer and making a pile of snack sticks for snacks while out hunting. Got goose meat thawing now.
IDS, I have since made another 8 # batch and added a jar of Mt. Olive diced jalapenos to the mix,just the right bite now ! Have fun with the goose sticks !

WOOT!! Thats it CM. I have been trying to do this for years. I have been trying to smoke it, I also thought it was fermented. BUT this looks awfully close to what I have been looking for.
I have only had it once, long ago in high school. One of my Pop's best friends came to visit, he was 100% Oklahoma indian and his wife he married after the war in German. The camne to visit and in some store, she found a link of Thuringer and made what we called open face sandwiches. It was a slice of bagette, buttered, a slice of tomato and a slice of thuringer, its was amazing! She said when she was growing up in Germany (or some slavic state), They had just one of these for a meal. Being the kid I was, I commented that I'd starve. She said I didn't understand, they ate 5 meals like that a day.
I have tried for years to make it, and have tried many times, I even asked about it here on the forum, looking for recipes and all I could find was Poli.
Thanks man, it will no double be my next sausage.! I wish I could give you all the points you deserve.

Reactions: crazymoon
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky