Throwdowns??????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bmudd14474

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 1, 2008
Florida
All-

We have been doing these as a fun way to get people engaged. The last 2 we have only had 3 people enter. Is the theme to difficult for some?

What suggestions do you have for doing these moving forward? I want to encourage more people to enter.

Please don't take this as I don't appreciate the ones who have entered but if we have sponsors giving away gifts I want to make sure we have as much participation as possible.

Please comment with any suggestions and we will review them to see if we can make it so more people want to enter.

Thanks

LOL damn only 3 entries lol. I don't know for me I usually work and it's winter now so. i think you are doing great. The entries have not been super hard I mean anything with gravy would have qualified so. My gravy came out too thick or i woulda just added a plated ghetto thanksgiving shot lol.

Hell I put up a post of my turkey roast i shoulda just splashed some butter and flour over it and called it an entry lol

Reactions: JLeonard
I really had planned to enter and the deadline came wand went so quickly with
Thanksgiving so close. No excuse though I do apologize.
Those are some pretty good odds of winning a very nice and generous gift.
Sorry I let you and the sponsors down.
( I did get half of my planned dish done and even bought chocolate molds to use)
Bill,

Reactions: negolien
I certainly enjoy those threads. I also think many people view them and are appreciative of the sponsors. I hope they continue. There is very high level of talent here that throwdowns showcase.

Wrong season here. Between the holidays, and weather it's tough to get an entry ready. I also feel since this is a smoking meat forum that smoking should be part of the equation. Just my two cents.

Chris

Brian...I'm kinda at a loss here. I absolutely lover the Throwdowns and look forward to them. Not really an excuse here but a lot of what I've seen here has been pretty amazing. I just don't feel that my cooking or plating skills are good enough to be competitive. I don't mind losing so much but I hate embarrassing myself :emoji_wink:

I also feel since this is a smoking meat forum that smoking should be part of the equation. Just my two cents.
On one hand I tend to agree, especially with the concept of "part" of the equation. I do however like the diversity of the themes. When you get into smoking meat, there's only a limited number of approaches...unless as you stated, it's just "part" of the equation.

Robert

Brian...I'm kinda at a loss here. I absolutely lover the Throwdowns and look forward to them. Not really an excuse here but a lot of what I've seen here has been pretty amazing. I just don't feel that my cooking or plating skills are good enough to be competitive. I don't mind losing so much but I hate embarrassing myself :emoji_wink:

On one hand I tend to agree, especially with the concept of "part" of the equation. I do however like the diversity of the themes. When you get into smoking meat, there's only a limited number of approaches...unless as you stated, it's just "part" of the equation.

Robert
Your plates are more than worthy for these throwdowns.
Don't under estimate your skills Robert.
You got game!

I did a few back when I first joined, but it really isn't my thing. I enjoy seeing them, but I have little interest in the competitive end of things. I'd rather spend my time cooking stuff we actually want to eat, rather than cooking for show.

I very much enjoy seeing the entries and the creativity, but past throwdowns have very much shown me that I'm not in the same league as those who enter...

Reactions: JLeonard
I very much enjoy seeing the entries and the creativity, but past throwdowns have very much shown me that I'm not in the same league as those who enter...
Same here lol!
But I sure do enjoy posts and photos.

Food was meant to be a source of nourishment.
Later, taste was included as a necessity as well.
Now unfortunately, in many restaurants, pleasing the eye takes precedence over all.

If some high-end restaurant serves a minuscule portion of food, charges you a fortune for it, but makes it look like a piece of art, some people think they have been specially treated. The taste, while still important, is secondary.

In my opinion, the predominant factor in judging food should be taste--not presentation. Unfortunately, the only way food can be judged over the internet is by sight.

Perhaps many people feel that those who have an artistic eye are the ones who benefit the most in the throwdowns.

John

I've entered 3 or 4 times over the years and didn't do well at all.
I'm not as "imaginative" as many here and it seems the most outrageous entries usually win.
I do enjoy them and always vote but I doubt I'll be entering any more.

Last edited:
I entered a few when I first joined up, but I’m not in the same league as some of these guys. And as Robert said, I don’t mind losing, but I don’t want to embarrass myself either. I can cook, but the creativity, and skill to make a great presentation are not in my wheelhouse.
Al

I'm not as "imaginative" as many here and it seem the most outrageous entries usually win.
and sometimes you can't even see or tell that the chosen ingredient is in the picture because there's so much going on . I always turn away from those , but they get a lot of attention for the popular vote .

Remember , when the actual judges vote they're looking at the use of the ingredient and not the Rembrandt factor .

What I encountered from my first throwdowns and why I don't do them anymore. My first throwdowns I entered IMO were unfair. The people who had photography skills could take the best picture and have a better chance of winning and usually those people are the ones that won. I seen a lot of food that should have won but the picture was not a good photo presentation. Voting is supposed to be which one would you be more likely to eat but the picture gets in the way. To make it fair the picture should be taken out of it and only a description of the dish should be voted on. When the winner is decided then the pictures will be applied to the description.

I'm not saying this is a fix but its something to build on with ideas from others.

My 2 cents

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky