Throat opening calcs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PAPI Q

Original poster
Jun 11, 2019
How can I calculate the throat opening for my new smoker build ? I am using a 22 inch diameter , 48 inch long,60 gallon air tank for my firebox. 24 inch diameter, 60 inch long cook chamber. This is going to be reverse flow, installed on a trailer, and both tanks will be horizontal. I am NOT connecting the tanks end to end, I want to connect the firebox at a 90 degree angle off the back of one of the cook chamber ends. Is there a way to calculate this weird throat opening?

Have you run any calculations on that proposed set-up? I am showing the fire box is almost 400% over sized for a 60gal tank. Regardless of the tank orientation, I suspect the area of the opening between tanks will be pretty much be the same. I probably would go a bit oversized to compensate for potential friction losses.

The cook chamber is 110 gallons, the firebox 60 gallons

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky