Three Simple Low Key Meals (W Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Contrary to popular belief, Tracy and I do eat a lot of easy, quick meals. Most I don't post just because they are so simple, and some I don't even take pics of, but I made these three dinners last week and did take a few pics. I need to get these folders off the desktop of my computer so figured I'd debunk a myth and go ahead and post them. First is a pizza, which has always been my nemesis. For some reason I just could not get a decent pizza made to save my soul. Well, Travis ( Sowsage Sowsage ) posted his Naan bread pizzas and I got the urge to give it another go. There's just nothing like a good homemade pizza, I just needed to figure out how to make one. This could get a bit lengthy but here we go....

Started out making the marinara
001.jpg

Got out the meats. Top left is grilled pepper crusted bacon left over from burgers a couple nights prior. Then we have Italian sausage, and pepperoni. All of these are homemade
003.jpg

Lightly fry the sausage. Blurry pic...sorry
004.jpg

Lay out the dough, add sauce and all the meats
008.jpg

Green bell pepper and onions
009.jpg

It was cooked on a pizza stone on the grill and used the pizza dome for the perfect cook. Plated shot
011.jpg

I finally got a pizza right!! As many dismal failures as I've had, it felt good (and tasted good) to get one right at last. Next night was smoked all beef bratwurst.

The brats
001.jpg

Onto the Rec Tec. Running low heat / extreme smoke
002.jpg

Got out a jar of interesting mustard that I received in one of my Christmas exchanges. This was really good believe it or not!! Ya just cannot go wrong with a Belgian ale
003.jpg

Got some sauerkraut heating up
004.jpg

No buns so decided to go with torts. They were WAY too big so cut them down to bratwurst size
006.jpg

Brats done and ready to go
007.jpg

Time to start building them. Brats and mustard...and feet for AZ. Actually those are my shins but he will never know :emoji_wink:
009.jpg

Add sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, and a side of tater chips. We are ready to eat.
011.jpg

The mustard was far better than I anticipated being that it's Hickory Farms. That really made the brats. Folks said I should have used some 1000 Island dressing and made it a Ruben brat, but I didn't think that would go with the mustard and I really had my heart set of that Belgian Ale mustard. May go the Ruben route next time, but these pushed the exact button I wanted pushed. They were very good!! Next night was pulled pork tacos. I know...I know...another tortilla meal. Jake is probably about to blow a gasket at this point :emoji_laughing: In this part of the country though, tortillas are as popular as bread. Nobody seems to frown on bread at a lot of meals but torts just seem to get a bad rap.

Start out cutting up some jalapenos and onions
001.jpg

Get the pulled pork out of the freezer and heat it up
002.jpg

Everything laid out. Pretty spartan spread but it was all we needed for a really tasty dinner. Oh, in case anybody needs to know, the bottle in the koozie is Tracy's Shiner Blonde Light.
003.jpg

Pulled pork, cheese, and jalapenos
005.jpg

Add onions, homemade fire roasted salsa, a pickle, and we are ready to eat.
007.jpg

Well that's it folks. Three quick, simple, low key dinners that were all very good. These brats were the ones I used the leftovers for to make the bratwurst chili mac that was posted a couple days ago. There was no leftover pizza or pulled pork . The pizza was devoured in about 10 minutes. Poor Tracy was hoping to have some for lunch the next day. Sorry!! Didn't happen. When we package the PP to put in the freezer we do them in single serving packages so we can grab one if there's just one of us or grab two as we did for the tacos.

Got three folders off the desktop. A few more to go....:emoji_astonished:
Robert

Well....dang....i just pulled in to the driveway from driving home from work. Looked at my phone. Bad idea because I was not that hungry.....now I'm starving! Ivy is making brats for later though so I'll just have to wait. Ryder had a snack and we are headed to the lake. Maybe I'll be posting a crappie fish cook soon! Wish us luck! All those simple meals look great Robert ! I'm gonna have to find that mustard and give it a try!

All look tasty!! We eat leftovers a lot during the week. If no leftovers we do a lot of quick cooks too. Gives me time to dress up my weekend extravagance for cooking lol.

Reactions: xray
Maybe I'll be posting a crappie fish cook soon! Wish us luck!

Good luck Travis!! Tell ya what...if you send me some crappie I'll send you some mustard :emoji_wink: Thanks for the kind words sir and have a good time fishin'

Robert

Reactions: Sowsage
That's some pretty good eating for the week Robert. Sometimes you just want quick and easy, tasty too!

We can't eat too good all the time right?

Damn good looking meals Robert. If I had the choice it would be hard to pick one between the three but I might have to go with the brats! And I'll take a shiner blonde as well.

Just found this one:
Looks Great, Robert !!
Love the Sausage Sammy without a big thick roll !!
Nice Jobs.
Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky