Thoughts on 6 birds for church

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Thomas The Tank

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 24, 2018
Valparaiso, IN
Doing 6 turkeys ~15-16 lbs each for our church Thanksgiving dinner. I believe they have 9% solution in them. I don't think I have the containers or space to brine them. I do plan on spatchcocking them and putting pads of butter under the skin the help aid in not drying out. I have only done a few turkeys for myself in the past and they turned out good with the above method. I’m not real big on injecting… any other thoughts on getting these to turn out great, or is it just smoke them and don’t over think it. Once they are carved they will be in a serving pan with Turkey broth.

High temp if you can. Breast facing away from heat. Breast 158-160F will climb about 5F while resting.

I'm not an injecter, either. Seasoned butter under and on the skin works for me.

If you want to brine and have large coolers, they work great. I have a couple 70-quart Coleman Xtremes that together would hold 6 birds. I don't bother heating the brine. Salt, sugar, water, a little cure #1 for hammy flavor. Stir well. Add birds and ice. 24-48 hours. (I don't calculate the ice into the brine).

Wash the coolers really well afterwards.

Have fun. People will love 'em.

High temp if you can. Breast facing away from heat. Breast 158-160F will climb about 5F while resting.

I'm not an injecter, either. Seasoned butter under and on the skin works for me.

If you want to brine and have large coolers, they work great. I have a couple 70-quart Coleman Xtremes that together would hold 6 birds. I don't bother heating the brine. Salt, sugar, water, a little cure #1 for hammy flavor. Stir well. Add birds and ice. 24-48 hours. (I don't calculate the ice into the brine).

Wash the coolers really well afterwards.

Have fun. People will love 'em.
Thanks! I’ll be using the rec teq bfg so my thoughts were to run lo for 30-60min to get some smoke then crank it up to 275-300. I do have a large cooler that might fit them if I spatchcock.

I’m sure people will love it either way but when you are cooking something you don’t do a lot for a crowd there is always that little added stress, lol.

Reactions: noboundaries
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky