Those with a mini wsm

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cody0707

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
Tallahassee, FL
I have a mini wsm and am still trying to dial it in and have a few questions.

1. How many unlit briquettes do you use?

2. How many lit briquettes do you add to get it going?

3. How many chunks of wood?

4. How long does it take for it to come up to temperature?

5. When raising the temperature do you open the vents more then dial them back as the temps get close to your target temps?

Thanks in advance for the help. 

1. How many unlit briquettes do you use? ... depends on what I'm smoking... but most of the time I fill it up... then take about 10 out of the middle to light in chimney...
2. How many lit briquettes do you add to get it going?... I leave a hole in the middle of unlit and dump about 10 HALF LIT in the hole
3. How many chunks of wood?... 6-10 mixed all through the unlit coal...
4. How long does it take for it to come up to temperature? .. about 30 minutes
5. When raising the temperature do you open the vents more then dial them back as the temps get close to your target temps?... all vents wide open while coming up to temp... about 200` I close the intake down to about half to a quarter closed.... top (exhaust) stays wide open all the time

anymore questions just give a yell.... do you have any pics or details on your build ? here's a link to my build

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/124570/my-version-of-the-mini-wsm

1. How many unlit briquettes do you use?  

2. How many lit briquettes do you add to get it going? No magic #   I'm patient and just light a few and keep the it wide open..usually heats up quick.

3. How many chunks of wood?  

4. How long does it take for it to come up to temperature? It really just depends on how many you light to begin with.

5. When raising the temperature do you open the vents more then dial them back as the temps get close to your target temps? The secret for me is small adjustments and be patient in between to see how it reacts. 

Evening Cody... Light more if you need a higher temp out of the gate or less if you need a lower temp start.  Wood just scatter some in so that new wood will burn as the fire goes.    Personally i like lighting my basket from the edge and letting it burn outward. 

I don't know how yours is set up but my bottom is cut out and i pretty much just use the steamer as a diffuser.  I love this little cooker and like dirtsaylor says...it's my go 2 cooker. 

That's right My go to smoker! I usually start a full chimney get em going and glowing and dump them in for short cooks. For longer cooks I fill my charcoal basket and light through one of the side vents.

I always crank the heat up 50+ degrees before putting on larger cuts of meat as the temp will drop at least that if not more once putting the meat on. Then I start closing vents as the temp comes back up.

Really need to know more about your setup and some pictures would help.

Did you enlarge the holes in your steamer for using it as the diffuser?  Also, those were some mighty good looking ribs on one of your recent posts.  I have been on the fence for awhile about getting the Guru but I think you just pushed me off.
I left the holes just as they were.  If you do the guru they sell a 3/4 inch adapter and it sure is nice whether it's used in a mini or a UDS ball valve. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky