This Is NOT Supposed To Be Happening! Updated

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
2020, now 2021 just has to give you a little kick in the back side, Robert.

One good thing is that it probably won't stick around too long. I would rather see a little snow than our dreary days. I think we are now on day 5 of gray clouds. But that is typical here during January & February. A few years ago a friend and I kept track of the gray days and only stopped counting when we finally saw sunshine on day 31.

What part of Chicago land did you live? I was up there in late 70's. Saw 150+ inches of snow my first year. Think it may still be there record.

Putting that Piedmontese tritip on the WSM in a few minutes.

We got a little in north Texas

20210110_135433.jpg

Several hours later and it's still coming down. About 3" in the grassy areas and 1 1/2" on the road and driveway, and we are losing trees. Still not a ton compared to a lot of you but it's WAY more than is normally seen here.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

These were taken about an hour ago. Just finished the first bowl of chili and now it's time to start cracking open the beers. Will do some individual catching up on replies later. Football game calling....

Robert

Just go for a nice leisurely dip in the pool, that will make you feel better

I'm thinking probably not. Had to empty the leaves out of the skimmer baskets yesterday and about went into cardiac arrest when I stuck my hand in the water. It is COLD!!

Sorry for your luck. On a better note. Your property looks really nice

Thanks so much re: the property. It's almost 4 acres total and was all raw land when we bought it. We have done all the work ourselves to clean it up over several years. Been a labor of love though.

Looks like a good day to not be driving around Robert!

You got that right!! It's still coming down and getting worse. Tomorrow may be another stay-at-home day.

Robert

I would take that much snow in a heartbeat! LOL!

I bet you would :emoji_wink: There's a bit of a climate difference between PA and Central TX though.

Some folks haven't a clue on how to drive in that

You aren't just a' kidding!! Seems like any time it snows every fool that's never seen snow just HAS to go out driving in it. Traffic fatalities in this area may outnumber COVID this weekend :emoji_anguished:

Wow! That is one nice place you have.

Thank you Brian. Been a long time Tracy and I working on it to make it look nice. I did get a ton of new lawn and garden power tools out of it though, which makes maintaining the property a lot easier.

Robert

Good call on the chili Robert...I'm doing veinson stew for the guys at the firehouse tonight...

Chili came out great Keith!! I've had two bowls and just hanging back on any more waiting on dinner time to roll around. The guys at the firehouse are lucky to have you in their midst. you do so much for them, and I applaud you my friend!!

Agree with the others, you got a great looking place. Think I'll wait til its warmer to visit tho.

Thanks Jim. Was a ton of work, every weekend for several years to get it to where it looks now. Warmer weather starts here in early March typically and pool weather by mid April Come on down buddy!! We have plenty of room.

That amount of Snow could shut down the State!

You aren't kidding Jimmy. It's crazy. I got my driver's license when I was 16 in three feet of snow. a third of an inch here and it mandates a statewide emergency.

In 89 freezing rain caused a complete shutdown

Oh yes!! When I was building the house we had 3 major ice storms in a matter of a month or so. Was a pain trying to get my sub contractors to work and didn't think I'd ever get the house built.

Robert

We always chuckle when the south gets snow... nobody knows how to drive in it, cars going everywhere.

I gave stopped chuckling and now just shake my head in disgust. People just have zero sense and like to prove it at any given opportunity.

Lots of us southern folks cant drive in a heavy frost. Dont throw ice and snow in there too!

A little snow is treacherous for these fools but ice is a whole different level of somebody inciting their own death wish. What's really funny is most of the vehicles you see of in the trees are 4WD pickups. They think they have it all figured out with the 4x4 till the ice bites them in the butt and they are playing Paul Bunyon taking down the trees with their front bumper.

I know just how ya feel Robert, I feel the same way when we get a warm sunny day!

I understand. We'd get months at a time in IL when we'd not see the sun. It was miserable for a person who really enjoys being outdoors.

Robert

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
Holy cow! Well.....im sorry, I may have jinxed you...its my fault...or posibly Ivys . who knew that packaging things in socks would turn into you having snow... I guess at least now you and Tracy can keep your toes warm until it passes. Lol!

I’m with you and feel your pain, Róbert. We lived in the snow belt in upstate NY (like back to back 200-inch winters) ... moved to NC and had an ice storm while moving in, ended up with 7 inches of ice ... my brother-in-law and I were the only people at work anywhere the next day. No one to call or with whom to do business ... wised up and just went home to play with the kids and wait for it to melt :emoji_blush:

I know some friends of a friend moved down from up north, and decided to move to the first place they could get out of car on I-95 in short sleeves. They’re in Smithfield NC. Probably at least half-joking, but amusing and understandable anyway.

A little snow is treacherous for these fools but ice is a whole different level of somebody inciting their own death wish. What's really funny is most of the vehicles you see of in the trees are 4WD pickups. They think they have it all figured out with the 4x4 till the ice bites them in the butt and they are playing Paul Bunyon taking down the trees with their front bumper.
Yeah, vehicle dynamics not rocket science to understand that 4-wd is just about traction for propulsion ... doesn’t steer or brake any different than 2-wd ... just lets you get into trouble sooner or faster.

You're right about the nuts that think they can drive in any kind of Winter weather, let alone rain. Our first Winter in Ga, 1993, moved from NJ, it snowed 18". The next day it was 70' and it all melted. But the mess from the snow day was incredible. Here they've closed the Schools on the threat of snow.

Back in the 70’s we were living in Ft. Lauderdale & it snowed there. Never happened again since.
Al

Damn Robert. You guys might be stuck in the house for weeks with that snow. LoL. I heard TX got snow and couldn't believe it. Here I am in the mountains with no snow. Go figure

Around here we call that mother natures dandruff.

Chris

Minnesota born and raised. The national weather service called that a winter storm warning... We call it Sunday! Biggest difference is in TX it's probably gone today. Up here it'll be here until May.

Last edited:
I remember the first winter I spent on the gulf coast of Mississippi. It snowed right on the beach man no sh@t. It was funny making snow/sand angels. Snow happens in wierd places sometimes. I also love it when it rains on one side of the street and not the other had that happen in Mississippi too lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky