This is new a GOSM users group.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

michael ark

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
Jonesboro Ar
How many of us are their.I will be digging this.I will try and get my mod up soon but gun season starts on sat morning.
yahoo.gif

Last edited:
I still have my Big Block GOSM.  I use it for specific things, like smoking cheese, jerky and all sorts of things the fine members come up with.  One of these days, I gotta do some dino eggs.  My daughter and SIL each have their own GOSM's.  Guess I'll have to alert them to this new group.  Joe Striper still uses his but he's on his "Snow Bird" thing, as usual, every winter. 

Hey michael, Dave, I'm in, I haven't been using it much lately because I have a problem getting propane, ...for security reasons they won't allow the public to the propane supplier so I can't fill my bottles, I'll tell you more about that when I have more time, also, since they would spray any dust or pellets Todd would send I no longer have a source for smoke so I'm making a smoke generator that I will attach to my GOSM, I'll keep you updated on that too.

Time for work, have a good day,

Gene

icon_cool.gif

I have a smaller unit that I've had for mabe 5-6 years and now I use it for bacon's and sausages only with low temp smoking.

14 x 16 inch (the original small GOSM 3405-GW), here. Older propane rig, about 9 years old (can't remember for sure, maybe 8), with the last 6 months of use being converted to charcoal with a lower half of a 20lb propane tank for the fire-box resting inside over the burner opening. Then, I shut it down about 18 months ago due to loss of the chrome finish on the cooking grates.

I have my sights set on some inexpensive stainless steel baker's cooling racks which may work out for replacements. They're 12" x 17", which is a bit shy on depth and about 1.5 - 2.0 inches too wide, but some simple mods should take care of the width. I don't want anything to do with chrome plated cooking grates after finding out how easily they can become damaged/worn out. My other option for grates is to cut-down a small sheet of expanded steel (mild/carbon) to size, season with a coating of oil and just oil them up after each use to prevent corrosion.

Mine suffered a regulator failure a littler over 2 years ago, and the local hardware store had one with a larger outlet size, so I bushed it down to fit the hose nipple and was back in business for about 15 bucks. I also need to finish dis-assembly of the burner/orifice to clean it up real good before putting back into service as it was showing signs of gas flow problems before I converted it to charcoal.

I smoked quite a few halved slabs of spares, some butts, a 14lb turkey, whole yard birds, 12lb picnic (I think, was about 2-1/2 years ago), canadian bacon from half-loins, un-stuffed sausage loaves, ABTs...I can't even remember all of it.

Never did the needle valve mod, but I did bend the tabs on the exhaust vent so I can run it wide open to just a crack if I want. Seems to me I could get down to about 80* above ambient temps without any wind, but I may be wrong. I don't recall doing any true cold smokes in it. It would push the 400 - 450* range for a hard drive to the finish for crisping the skin on birds, though.

Hmm, 99 bucks 9 years ago, and I got 6 - 7 years out of it without any issues what so ever, and it still has no cabinet or burner housing rust after being out in the elements for the better part of her life...not a bad rig for the money...just gotta learn how to get slow, long smoke out of 'em, be sure the legs are leveled properly when you set it up so the door closes as best it can, then you're good to go. I think the stainless grates would be a fitting way to give her a revival...she's been such a sweet little rig, I'd hate to see her just just waste away.

Been thinking about grabbing a 20 x 14 and tossing on a couple quick, down and dirty mods, but don't really need it with the Smoke Vault 24 gasser and Brinkmann Gourmet charcoal around, and especially with a revival in the works for my old GOSM. The Gourmet is a double-stacked (2 barrels high), btw. Maybe...just maybe I'll find a good excuse to buy the wide-body??? Is it possible to have too many toys? Ha-ha!

Glad to be aboard the GOSM train!

Eric

Whoa, Eric,

Talk to me about chrome grills, those in my GOSM are still good, but I cook a lot of pineapple marinated chicken on the other smoker and they don't have much chrome left on them!

Gene

Yeah, Gene, some of my chrome finish was lost due to acidity of ingredients, some may have been due to high salt rubs, and then some was scrubbed off with scotch-brite pads just in the last year or so that I used that smoker...if I'd only known then what I know now. It took the chrome down to copper-clad, then to bare metal wire in a few spots. It makes for some nasty looking meat when you flip it over and see green grill marks from the copper causing oxidation to the meat. I DO NOT use any type of scrouring pads anymore, btw.

I figure on replacing all my chrome grates with stainless when the time comes, from my brinky gourmet, the smoke vault, the weber kettle, and whatever else I have with chrome. Then, I'll never have to worry about what I cook on them or how I clean them.

I try to just soak in hot soapy water as much as possible, then wash off the loosened material with a dishcloth...sometimes I forget or don't have time to wait, then, the damage starts all over again.

Eric

Not sure of these Group things yet but figured I would pass on some info that may be helpful to others.

Some of the information is dated but I am sure that some or it may be useful.
[h3]GOSM Big Block [/h3]

Vertical Cabinet Propane Water Smoker

2874584540041211880dfZZlk_fs.jpg
This picture was from '07 using the 3405GW

[h2]Tuesday, May 25, 2010[/h2]
I just received a Big Block 3605BGD and wanted to post some notes and comparisons to my 3405GW.

My 3405GW is a great smoker, it has been very faithful, temps remain constant and had never had a problem.
The 3405GW has put out some superb food! So there will be no 3405GW bashing.
The only modifications made to this smoker were a "needle valve mod", a "Dutch Oven as a smoker box" and I added an intake, the latter was not needed, these smokers are vented from underneath...adequately.

I am a little sad to see the 3405GW go, especially after it took 3 years of awesome smokes to get it seasoned just to where I wanted it, however I am pleased to find a new home for it, directly across the street at my Neighbor Bruce's house.

I will be referring to the 3605BGD as the BB from here on out.

Do not confuse the 3405BGW below with MY 3405GW. I only posted the 3405BGW (Wide Body) info on this blog because I have noticed many people confusing these 2 smokers, and as far as I know you can not get the 3605BGD (Big Block) at Walmart, only the 3405BGW (Wide Body), as far as the wider smokers are concerned.

The information below is for comparison of the 3405BGW (Wide Body) and the 3605BGD (Big Block)

Just a side note, the GOSM's sold at Wal-mart are different in quite a few ways, so be careful when making a decision to purchase one from Wal-Mart as opposed to Bass pro, There is a reason for the price difference.

Update 6/7/2011 Bass Pro not carrying GOSM.

Premium features include: 3405BGW (Wide Body)
  • Easy Access Door
  • Cool grip wire handle
  • 3 cooking grates
  • Rotary Knob ignition
  • Porcelain coated steel water pan
  • Cast Iron Chip box
  • Dimensions: 18" x 25" x 43.2"
  • Weight: 58 lbs. I BELIEVE THIS IS INCORRECT
  • No drip pan or grease deflectors
  • No slide out smoker Box Tray
  • 1 adjustable vent

3405BGW+Side-open+600.jpg

Premium features include: 3605BGD (Big Block)
  • Easy Access Door
  • Cool grip wire handles
  • 4 cooking grates
  • Push Button ignition
  • Porcelain coated steel water pan
  • Cast Iron Chip box
  • Dimension: 21" x 29" x 45.2"
  • Weight: 91.3 lbs.
  • Cooking Area: 1257 sq. inches
  • Removable drip pan
  • grease deflectors, note the one on the door
  • 3 vents
  • slide out smoker box tray

3605BGDside-open+600.jpg

Ok, hopefully the confusion between the 3405BGW (Wide Body) and the 3605BGD (Big Block) is resolved and we can continue with some BB notes and some comparisons to my 3405GW.

The box arrived in pretty good shape, a few dings that I banged out no problem.
It was pretty heavy, 91 lbs. The website said 63lbs
Update: I called Landman USA when I originally ordered this item and told customer service the weight was incorrect on the website, she replied thank you I will notify the web designer, anyhow I checked today 6/16/2010 and it was corrected.

After I opened the box I realized why it was so heavy, the new chip pan is huge and as soon as I picked up the chip pan I knew that mods were not going to be needed.

As big as the BB looks, the footprint is still relatively small, below are 3 comparison photos.

Dimensions.
45.2'' H x 29'' W x 21'' D
1257 CU IN COOK SPAC
E

Click here for Landman USA Website

Landman USA Info:

Call us at 1-877-3GRILLS
(1-877-347-4557)

Address: 101 Old Mill Rd.- Building 300
Cartersville, GA 30120
Local Phone: (770) 606-8903
Fax: (770) 606-8112

Email: [email protected]

3405GW and 3605BGD, side by side comparison.

20100521018.jpg

20100521020.jpg

20100521022.jpg

The first thing I noticed when assembling is that the hardware itself is a bit heavier duty and the hinges are barrel hinges that are welded in place as opposed to the 3405's bolted in hinges.
The steel seems to be of the same gauge and they both have a decent paint job. Assembly was very straightforward and after it was all together I was slightly disappointed because I was enjoying putting the BB together.

The thermometer
sucks ass and the thermometer on the new BB was damaged and I refuse to put that piece of shit on, I will order a large 3 or 4" tru temp but for now I have a 2" one on now.

Picture_25_005.jpg

Picture_25_003.jpg

Maybe I will make a night light out of the thermometer.

Update.., I called Landmann USA for a replacement thermometer, great customer service.
Although I will not rely on the thermometer, I felt I should put it on for aesthetic purposes only. Maybe I can use it as a bottle opener.

Another thing I noticed is how the bottom is affixed to the smoker.
On the 3405GW its pieced together and on the BB its welded, I always had grease seep out at the bottom joints on the 3405GW.
Grease can seep out of the front gap on the BB but can be filled with some high temp sealant.

The BB also has a removable drip pan and deflectors to deflect the falling grease from the sides into the drip pan...way to go Landman.

Copy+of+20100521018.jpg

Picture_23_296.jpg

The 3405GW has a rotary igniter whereas the BB has a push button igniter. I am not sure at this point if one is better than the other.

Copy+%282%29+of+20100521018.jpg

Copy+%283%29+of+20100521018.jpg

Same cheesy handles but they work.
I get a little less smoke seeping from around the door on the BB but this may be due to the fact that the 3405GW was damaged a bit in transit, as you can see by the above side by side photo.

Welds seem to be a bit cleaner and sturdier on the BB.

Installing the burner is about the same on both, from what I remember anyway.

The racks are Nice and fairly heavy duty.

20100521044.jpg

The chip pan is huge and weighs approximately 10 lbs or so.
I replaced the chip pan on the 3405GW with a small cast iron dutch oven and had to do various tweaks

For the BB with the lid on the chip box, acquiring TBS, (Thin Blue Smoke) is fairly easy,

I don't use chips as the manufacturer suggests, I use chunks, as you will see later in this post. With the larger chip pan you can get 2-3 hours of smoke, just make sure to choke off the air by using the lid.

20100521032.jpg

20100521030.jpg
 Incredible difference.

The water pan is much larger also, as you can see in the next 2 photos. The water pan is porcelain coated for easy cleanup just as the 3405GW, but you may want to cover it in foil, just make sure to get the wide foil.
I put about a gallon of water into the water pan, the manufacturer suggests about an inch from the top.
I am not sure how much water went int the 3405GW's water pan but I would guess about half of a gallon. I stopped using foil on the 3405GW but will be using foil again, just make sure to press it in tightly around the sides so you don't loose any volume, and don't puncture the foil.

20100521028.jpg

20100521026.jpg

20100521040.jpg
20100521042.jpg

One Major improvement, upgrade or whatever you want to cal it is the drip pan in the bottom, you can line this with foil, but I chose not to, next time I will spray it with pam. If you look closely on the first picture below, you will see the dripping deflector in the upper left hand corner...way to go Landman.

Picture_23_296.jpg

Picture_23_295.jpg
Picture_23_294%282%29.jpg

Time to fire up the smoker.
I opened the propane valve 1-1/2 turns, turned burner control knob to high per manufacturers instructions... counted to 3, pressed the igniter once, and the burner fired up no problem. Repeated this to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

The rotary igniter on the 3405 has been pretty good as well over the last 3 years.

Below are Low, Medium and High on the 3405GW. The burner control is less accurate in correlation to the control knob as there is not much difference between medium and high compared to the Big Block.

20100521016+SMALL+LOW.jpg

20100521012+SMALL+MED.jpg

20100521008+SMALL+HIGH.jpg

Below are Low, Medium and High on the Big Block. The burner on the BB is more responsive than my 3405GW and the control of the flame is more manageable than the 3405GW as well.
Also note that the Burn is cleaner, (less yellow flame).

20100521000+BB+LOW.jpg

20100521004+BB+MED.jpg

20100521006+BB+HIGH.jpg

I haven't really tested heat recovery but from frequent use of the 3405GW and one test smoke of the BB, I would say they both fare well when temps are running at medium and with a full water pan, however the 3405GW does recover a little bit quicker.

The BB took a bit more time recovering from High Heat around 300 degrees, but this was with no food.

They both heat up initially pretty well, but the BB has better control of the burner. I ran the smoker with a full water pan and chunks in the chip pan to season.

I messed around with the vents on the side a bit and there was only a few degree change after 20 minutes. I would suggest to leave them closed to the stop tabs and leave the top vent full open to the tab stops.

Out of the box the BB smoker is good to go, no mods needed, however I may install a needle valve mod if the temps do not go to 150 degrees, this mod worked out well on the 3405GW.

The 3405GW needed some tweaks, but I must wonder how much of those tweaks were done because of my lack of experience with Vertical Water Smokers?

Temperature Variances.

I initially started out with 5 thermos but one probe was shot, so 4 it was.

Weather conditions 70 degrees low humidity no wind.

This test was done during seasoning but with no food, it really is hard to gauge variations in temp because their are too many factors.
For instance if I put a large 1 gallon pan on the 2nd rack, there may be a 50 degree variation in temps as the pan impedes airflow and has much greater mass.
My suggestion would be to have a digital thermometer on each rack and adjust food accordingly.

20100521046.jpg

20100521050.jpg

GOSM+Temps.jpg

Seasoning time

Although all the above was done during the seasoning process, I separated it in the blog to make it easier to follow, I hope this wasn't in vain.

First I foiled the pan and added water, then for good smells I added some leftover spices and about a 1/2 cup of oil.
I did not spray the sides with oil as some suggest but rather went with the manufacturers suggestion but did sneak a little oil into the water pan.

20100521058.jpg

This was another attempt at the much sought after TBS. But I really wanted to achieve this for the seasoning of the BB.
This time I tried big chunks and stacking. I started with few logs of cherry and ran them through my band saw.

20100521024.jpg

Stacked them like so,

20100521036+TBS+TEST+A.jpg

Placed them in the pan and added a few smaller chunks for insurance.

20100521038.jpg

I absolutely never soak the wood, I feel that the water only delays the inevitable and doesn't keep the wood from igniting, only limiting the amount of oxygen will do this, others may disagree but that is what I do.

OK everything is looking good, getting just a wee bit of smoke and here is what I got.

20100521062.jpg

below, this still has some life in it,

20100521074+TBS+TEST+B.jpg

20100521072.jpg

20100521068.jpg
The piece on the right is completely used up and the piece on the left has a wee bit of smoke left in it, notice the Reddish brown on the piece to the left.  This picture shows what a spent piece of wood looks like before it ashes up.  Another closeup of a used up piece of wood.

This is perfect no white ash and TBS all the way.
You can leave it in until its completely ash, but I find it much easier to remove these spent pieces with tongs and drop another piece in its place.
Update: I was able to duplicate the TBS on my second smoke without stacking, no ashes, just coals.

Conclusion, Stack wood chunks for a longer smoke or side by side for more smoke, I have been using the side by side method, this has worked well my last few smokes.

Before I go into the next part, I wanted to point out what I feel are the differences between Grilling, Smoking and Barbecuing.

This is my OPINION only, not FACT!

• Grilling - Cooking at higher temps over direct heat.
  • Smoking - Cooking at lower temps and infusing smoke flavor into the wood by the use of a hardwood.
  • Barbecuing - Cooking by indirect heat at Lower temps by a hardwood fire source, wood or hardwood coals "Low and Slow"
When I am using the BB, my goal is to impart a smoky flavor into the product, when I am using my stickburner "Frank", my goal here is to try and get a traditional type of barbecue and will try for the least amount of smoke.

Everyone has their own opinion and mine is just that an opinion, hope I didn't ruffle any feathers.

OK!, its time to cook

This is assuming all your meat is prepped and ready to go.

Like I said earlier Although all the above was done during the seasoning process, I separated it in the blog to make it easier to follow, I hope this wasn't in vain.

• Check propane, better yet have a backup tank
  • Open top Vent to full open (tab stop)
  • Close Bottom Vent to full closed (tab stop)
  • Remove any Racks you will not be using.
  • Spray the racks with Pam non stick cooking spray.
  • Foil the water pan

20100521042.jpg

I strictly use water in the water pan unless making jerky. I am a firm believer of water in the water smoker, others will argue and say its only for thermal mass and you can use sand, I disagree.
In addition to acting as a thermal mass, I believe that the water helps minimize temp spikes and helps maintain temps closer to my preferred Smoking temps 220 - 240 degrees.

Reasons I use water in the water pan:

• Directions say to use water
  • Water will help keep the food moist by reducing evaporation from the surface of the meat but will not add moisture.
  • Water will help even out temps and help maintain an optimal smoking temp.
  • Water acts as a heat sink, assisting in heat recovery
  • Moisture in the smoker will help in forming a smoke ring.
  • Ease of cleanup
  • Works as a heat deflector and drip pan.

TIP, add boiled or hot tap water to the water pan if there is food in the smoker to reduce heat recovery time.

Some add "flavors" to the water in the water pan, such as onion scraps, apples, spices, wine, beer etc..., I do on occasion but only with scraps, I do not believe it helps in flavoring the meat, but it sure smells good when smoking.
Flavoring the water is not needed but does make the smoker smell good., so if you got some scraps, throw 'em in!

20100521058.jpg

• Foil the bottom of drip pan or spray with PAM, I spray, foiling the drip pan is a pain in the arse!
  • Add chips or chunks to the smoker box. 
Make sure to place the lid on and I would suggest pliers to pull out the chip box grate and to remove the lid, also a pair of tongs to remove and add new chunks. If you must use chips, I would make foiled packets and poke the foil several times with a fork.
Also have a metal pan or something handy to put the spent wood chunks in and make sure to keep it off any surface that may get damaged from the heat.

20100521038.jpg

• Add Thermometers.
I will usually put a thermometer on each rack, pushing the probes through a potato or drilled out piece of wood, and will use them in the meat on thing like butts, poultry, briskets and chuckies to name a few. I will not use probes on Soups, stews chili, ribs, beans, fatties etc... you get the picture.

Do not rely on the Thermometer that came with the smoker plus I would test any thermometer before use in boiling water for accuracy, remember, water boils at 212 degrees.

20100521046.jpg

• Preheat smoker on high for about half an hour.
You can wait for the smoke to start but I don't sweat it.

• Place the meat in smoker and leave on high about half an hour.
This will help keep the smoker up to temp and you can turn the flame down slightly every 15 minutes or so thereafter and dial it in to the temp you desire. I feel its better to work down from a higher heat than the other way around. It helps to have a tight target temp in mind such as 225- 235 degrees.

I have noticed when smoking things like Chili or Beans in a large pan, it will knock the snot out of the temps and give you crazy readings, I believe this is due to the mass and the hindrance of air flow because of the pan or pot.

20100521088.jpg

• Monitor the temps, wood and water.
I have gotten into the habit of removing the wood and adding fresh chunks when the wood is spent, just before it ashes up . The wood will smoke a lot more towards the end, right before it is used up. If you must open the door often, make sure to add water, check the chips and sprits or mop in one shot, also eyeball the meat.

And remember the corny but true saying
"If you're looking you ain't cooking"

TBS pic below
The pic below is a chunk and some smaller pieces, the smaller pieces were just starting to ash up and when I took them out of the smoker and they were exposed to more oxygen they ashed over rapidly.

20100521084+TBS.jpg

20100521112.jpg

Some notes on cleaning your BB.

Let your smoker cool a bit, I usually do this when its still warm, just watch the Smoker Box, it stays hot for quite a bit of time.

• Wipe the outside down with a degreaser such as 409, rarely needed
  • Remove any food particles and wipe out any visible grease with dry paper towels.
  • If you seasoned with "wood only", the sides should stay fairly clean.
  • Spray the racks with Pam before each use and after cleaning them.
  • Wipe out the excess grease from the sides and under the drip tray
  • Remove the drip pan and clean with soapy water, spray lightly with Pam.
  • Brush out all debris in the Smoker box, you can spray the Smoker box with Pam to keep from rusting, this will cook off next time you fire up the smoker
  • Take out the water pan, drain liquid, remove foil and wash with soapy water, make sure to wash the bottom real good, it may get some soot on it. TIP: Wipe the bottom with paper towels while still warm before using soapy water.
Some Tips.

• Remember Food Safety please follow this link and familiarize yourself with Safe Food Handling from the USDA
  • Never place poultry above other foods
  • If making Ribs with Chili or Beans, try to place bean under ribs.

Reactions: konsmoker
Just bought my first smoker - a 36" GOSM stainless gas model, #A032142, on Craigslist.  Not sure how old it is but it looks brand new, lights easily and seems to hold temperature very well.  I've only done one smoke, 2 slabs of spares last weekend but it worked great.  I'm looking forward to creating a lot of smoke with this rig.

Curt. 

3605BGD (Big Block) Owner here and it's my second GOSM. I sold my much smaller one to my x-son in law. I am much happer with this one. Seems to me it's 3 ish years old now.

Guess I am the only one with an original Charcoal GOSM. I have however converted it over to propane. Much sturdier construction than the gas models.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky