Third tri tip attempt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My youngest son came to dinner last night so I had the opportunity to smoke a prime tri tip. I Seasoned with SPG and let it sit uncovered in the garage refrigerator for about 3 hours. The initial IT was 40° and I pulled it at 130° . I haven't figured out how to control the smoke at higher temps so I cooked between 210° and 220°. Total smoke time was 2 hr. Outside temperature was between 36° and 34° and the beverage of choice was Writers Tears, an Irish whiskey given to me by my youngest son. This attempt was not reverse seared as I have done before. I smoked it the whole way through. Much thanks to @civilsmoker who suggested that I could keep it in a warm 140° oven while I finish the rest of dinner. I really like this idea.

I am working on getting the TBS.
View attachment 519486

After it came out of the smoker
View attachment 519487

Sliced up and ready to eat
View attachment 519488

The taste was delicious and not much is left for lunch today. I felt it was a little chewy. Maybe tri tip needs to cook more, can't eat it like a new york steak. Next time I will pull it at 135° or 140°.
Tri Tip looks delicious. Sliced across the grain makes a huge difference in bite and chew, 135* IT is my sweet spot for TT. Nice job.

Lol. I gave you the printed info to plant a seed. If it grows it grows, if not, not much you can do.
That only works if there is reasoning behind it. When I make Filet Mignon, I have to make a totally different meat for her. She claims it's a texture thing.

Microwaved steak is OK and Filet Mignon isn't? Glad it isn't my problem.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
That only works if there is reasoning behind it. When I make Filet Mignon, I have to make a totally different meat for her. She claims it's a texture thing.

Microwaved steak is OK and Filet Mignon isn't? Glad it isn't my problem.
We cook Sous Vide some, not a bunch. My wife too turned her nose up until she tasted it. It’s wonderful. We are SV for our Christmas prime rib 6 hours at 131*. I will sear it on the kettle with screaming hot charcoal. Perfect 131* IT. The mother in law wants it “done” so I will slice her off a slab and grill it a bit longer. Everybody happy. My wife still won’t eat 155* chicken. Just won’t do it, but it is delicious.

I just look at the plus sides of it. When I have a beef killed and processed, my wife doesn't care about the steaks, so I get all of them. The roasts and stew meat, she will eat, as they are well done, anyhow. I turn a lot of the ground into meat loaf, which is also well done. I'd be cutting myself out of a lot of steak if I convince her that they don't have to be cremated.

My ex-fiance had relatives in California. She went out there with her parents a number of years ago where the relatives served Santa Maria style tri-tip. It was too rare for her tastes. She asked me to find and cook her one. I took it to medium/medium well and she loved it. Different strokes and the like.

. I think your issue with with the chew is you sliced it with the grain instead of against the grain.
Yup , started out good ,
1640096686533.jpeg
but I forgot where to turn .
1640096737895.jpeg

Well, I just tell wife we do have a microwave if you don't like it
Get yourself some beef stock in a pot . Bring it to a slow simmer ( not boiling )
Put her slices in the stock to bring them to a temp she likes . It actually really good like that . Tender and tasty .

Reactions: Bearcarver
Looks like a successful cook! Gotta love that Brisket! Inside looks beautiful! Great job!
- How you slice matters for texture
-I am also carrying the burden of a wife that likes her red meat grey . . . I heat up a CI w/butter and toss her slices on for a few seconds on each side.
-Try the Brisket style Tri-Tip . . . it is shockingly good.
- I lived in SD for a long time, Tri-Tip was a staple. In Virginia I go to a butcher for special order. Its a bit more in cost, but worth it from time to time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky