Thinner pork butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brucec

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 6, 2012
KS
A buddy of mine bought a 7 lbs butt at a local butcher that he has asked me to smoke. When I got it out to look at it tonight, it's actually two pieces of butt. One is about 4 lbs and the other 3 lbs. They're fairly wide and long, but only about 3" thick. He wants pulled pork, so I'll take them to 205 (smoker set at 225), but trying to guesstimate when to put them in the smoker had me puzzled. I usually estimate 2 hrs per pound, but I'm worried these will get done quicker.
I've smoked a lot of butts, but never any this thin before. Anyone else ever run into this?

You will likely go 1.5Hrs per pound on the thickest piece. But Foil, Towels and a Cooler are your best friend. Done early? Wrap and rest. You will still be too hot to handle 5-6 hours later...JJ

Cooler resting method is great. I use it for brisket, pork shoulders and baked potato's. I always try to plan on my low/slow cooks to be done several hours in advance of show time. This gives you time to get other stuff ready and also you can eat exactly when you want to. Just about the time you anticipate low/slow to be ready it will stall and set you back 45 minutes or 2 hours.

Thanks for the responses guys. I threw them in at 8 this morning. Hoping to eat at 4pm. Unless i hit a nasty stall, it should be okay. I'll probably be foiling them to push them through.

Thanks again!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky