Thinking of switching to just a Weber 26” kettle

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokingUPnorth

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 7, 2017
Michigan UP
So as of now I have a Weber 22” kettle and a 22” WSM. The most I’ll smoke is a couple butts or coupe racks of ribs. I bought the 22” WSM bc I made the mistake on my first smoker (mes30) of not opting for the bigger one, and didn’t want to end up trimming ribs/brisket. I like the WSM but to me it’s kinda a pain to use. Easy to control temp but I have to keep it in my back yard, my kids are usually playing in the front, and honestly for the amount of food I use it for cleanup is a pain as far as emptying the charcoal, cleaning the water pan and cover even though I foil them.. I’m thinking since my Weber kettle 22” has seen better days (an auto accident, involving my Silverado haha, two moves across country, being used 4-5 times per week ext.) that if I sell the WSM and pick up a 26” kettle I’ll be able to do all in one. By that I mean smoke and cook grill. I use my 22” kettle to smoke all the time and it’s so easy, just lacks rack space. Does anyone have any input on their 26” kettle or think I’d be a fool for switching to just that to smoke/grill

I have many cookers, a 22” kettle among them. I would have to say if I could only have one, and I didn’t cook for a lot of people, the 26” kettle is most likely what I would go to. Great all around for sure.

Reactions: PPG1
I have 2 Weber 22" kettles and I'd love to have the 26", maybe it will happen soon. In my opinion, you absolutely can't go wrong with the 26", get it....

Reactions: PPG1
Does anyone have any input on their 26” kettle or think I’d be a fool for switching to just that to smoke/grill
Well , I like to have options . I would not go to just one these days , but I have the room and my kids are grown . I would keep the 22 and get a 26 . I agree with you on the WSM's . Fun to use , but just kind of a pain .
I only smoke on my 26 . Grill on the 22 .
What people don't realize , is that a 26 " kettle is a heavier gauge metal all around . Has to be to support the span . Makes it a great option to smoke with .The cooking grate has a support truss underneath . I love mine , and I know you would too . A lot of room on the 26 . But I would keep your 22 also .
20210307_163956.jpg
20191006_111708.jpg

Well , I like to have options . I would not go to just one these days , but I have the room and my kids are grown . I would keep the 22 and get a 26 . I agree with you on the WSM's . Fun to use , but just kind of a pain .
I only smoke on my 26 . Grill on the 22 .
What people don't realize , is that a 26 " kettle is a heavier gauge metal all around . Has to be to support the span . Makes it a great option to smoke with .The cooking grate has a support truss underneath . I love mine , and I know you would too . A lot of room on the 26 . But I would keep your 22 also .
View attachment 501853
View attachment 501854

Nice set up!

I have all three, the 22" kettle, 26" kettle and the 22" WSM. The WSM hasn't seen the light of day for more then a year now. It's basically become a cheese smoker. The 22" gets all my high heat cooks with the Vortex(I won't use the Vortex in my 26 because to the damage it's caused to the lid of the 22"). The 26" is now my goto smoker/grill. I mostly use it with the SnS or the charcoal baskets. If I were to sell one it would be the WSM, but like Chop I have room for all three.

Chris

I'd go for the 26! Especially for the reason as chopsaw chopsaw picture showed... major real estate! I should too, just hoping to find a decent priced used one.

Ryan

Reactions: SmokingUPnorth
Nice set up!
Thanks . There's another 22" kettle , an MES 30 and a Blackstone out there too .
Old pic , but here's a view from the other side . Pre 26" . I cut up the hot tub to make room for it .
20190629_130619.jpg

I wish Weber would just release a 26" WSM.
26" Performer is my wish .

Thanks for the input everyone. Looks like my pretty much new WSM will be posted for sale haha
gmc2003 gmc2003 opened my eyes to the 26 . I honestly never even knew they made one . I absolutely love it . I get 10 hours with the snake method @ 260 ish .
My system is to set it up the night before a smoke . Everything ready to go . The morning of all I have to do is light it and put the meat on .
Mine with a cover was right around $400 I think .

gmc2003 gmc2003 opened my eyes to the 26 . I honestly never even knew they made one . I absolutely love it . I get 10 hours with the snake method @ 260 ish .
My system is to set it up the night before a smoke . Everything ready to go . The morning of all I have to do is light it and put the meat on .
Mine with a cover was right around $400 I think .

haha I can already hear my wife now....”where are you planning on putting this one”

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I just picked up a 26” at a steal of a deal a couple of weeks ago. I’ve used it a few times now and I must say it’s bad to the bone! Smoked 2 slabs of BB’s last week and controlling the temp and burn time using the snake method was a breeze. I also have a 22”, 18” Jumbo Joe and a small reverse flow offset.
If you find a good used 26” I’d recommend jumping on it. You will not regret it.

JR

Reactions: chopsaw
I posted something last week about selling my 22in WSM and picking up an 18in WSM because the 22 is just so big and I never need all the space. But now this has me thinking....

I agree the 22in WSM is a big pain to use when you're not cooking that much stuff. Still a killer smoker though.

I still have my Weber from 1986. The kettle measures very close to 27 inches. It has never let me down. I would like to replace the grill grates with stainless steel. I have also toyed with the thought of getting the Weber Ranch grill. If only it would show up on WOOT at a ridiculous price!!!

Reactions: chopsaw
Gosh now you guys have me looking for a place to put a 26” kettle on my patio. I bet the extra space is hard to beat.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky