Thinking about this WSM. Positives/Negatives ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hawging It

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 1, 2019
Southeast Mississippi
Looking to add to the arsenal. I would add the upgraded door and quality thermometer from what I have read. Any positives/negatives from WSM users? Thanks

Attachments

• WSM.pdf
    319.7 KB · Views: 24
HA!
I too have been considering either a 14 or 18 WSM because planning smokes around the rain with the electric smoker is becoming a PITA.
Of course my wife will be overjoyed when I decide to pull the trigger and get one.

I have nothing to to say about the WSM but my question is why get a WSM over an UDS?

I am not knocking or promoting either one just curious and want to gather info for my next smoker purchase.

Thanks. JC. :emoji_cat:

The ONLY negative you haven't mentioned is the lid's lip design. In the rain, when the smoker is cold, water runs down the lid and into the smoker, collecting in the ash pan. The WSM requires a waterproof tarp because the cover that comes with it is not waterproof unless treated. I picked up a tarp for peanuts and bungees to secure it.

Smoking in the rain is not a problem at all.

The ONLY negative you haven't mentioned is the lid's lip design. In the rain, when the smoker is cold, water runs down the lid and into the smoker, collecting in the ash pan. The WSM requires a waterproof tarp because the cover that comes with it is not waterproof unless treated. I picked up a tarp for peanuts and bungees to secure it.

Smoking in the rain is not a problem at all.
Good information. Thanks

Reactions: JC in GB
Hawging you won't regret adding a WSM to your arsenal. Granted I do most of my smokes on the 26" kettle, but for anything longer then 6hrs I go to the WSM. Ease of use, after a few smokes it seals itself up, plenty of room to do at least 6 butts or whatever you want to do. Don't worry about upgrading the door most folks that I know think it's pretty much a waste of money. The door on my 22 leaked a tad in the beginning, but not anymore. The gauge on the top of the smoker basically just temps out the top of the lid. I use it as a gauge to tell me if my WSM is getting hotter or colder. I don't rely on it for actual temps. The thing I like about a WSM over a drum is the door, and water pan. I don't use water in my pan, because I like to smoke at 250*. The WSM will hold 250* all day w/o water. If I was looking to maintain a temp of 225* or lower then I would probably use the water pan. The door comes in handy on longer smokes to check or stir up your dying charcoal. It also makes adding charcoal a snap.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Chris

Hawging you won't regret adding a WSM to your arsenal. Granted I do most of my smokes on the 26" kettle, but for anything longer then 6hrs I go to the WSM. Ease of use, after a few smokes it seals itself up, plenty of room to do at least 6 butts or whatever you want to do. Don't worry about upgrading the door most folks that I know think it's pretty much a waste of money. The door on my 22 leaked a tad in the beginning, but not anymore. The gauge on the top of the smoker basically just temps out the top of the lid. I use it as a gauge to tell me if my WSM is getting hotter or colder. I don't rely on it for actual temps. The thing I like about a WSM over a drum is the door, and water pan. I don't use water in my pan, because I like to smoke at 250*. The WSM will hold 250* all day w/o water. If I was looking to maintain a temp of 225* or lower then I would probably use the water pan. The door comes in handy on longer smokes to check or stir up your dying charcoal. It also makes adding charcoal a snap.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Chris
That is good to hear. I really think I will pull the trigger on the 22" soon. Thanks for your input.

I have had a 22 WSM for several years with a BBQ Guru controller.
You can't beat it for an overnight smoke!
I didn't do any mods to it & yes it leaks, but it doesn't matter.
It will hold any temp you set it at, until it runs out of fuel. My longest run has been 22 hours without adding any wood or charcoal, but that was in the summer in Florida.
Al

Lots of positive comments about the WSM. I was considering getting a Hunsaker drum for my next smoker but now I may have to give this some more thought.

JC

Reactions: Hawging It
I have had a 22 WSM for several years with a BBQ Guru controller.
You can't beat it for an overnight smoke!
I didn't do any mods to it & yes it leaks, but it doesn't matter.
It will hold any temp you set it at, until it runs out of fuel. My longest run has been 22 hours without adding any wood or charcoal, but that was in the summer in Florida.
Al
Thank you Al. That is good information!

My door does not open,when I moved the door was bent really bad.I bent it back best I could and taped it closed
100_8160.JPG
My basket is made with stamped metal
Richie

I've been cooking on the 22 for 10 years and the thing is awesome. Never used a guru. Didn't see the need for one. I've done over night cooks and held temps thru the night and into the morning. Cleanup is a little messy with the water pan but it's worth the reward. Look into the stainless steel door sold by Cajun Bandit. Fits perfectly and does a better job retaining heat vs. the original.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky