Thinking about an El cheapo offset

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

alan Maples

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 27, 2022
The one I have in mind is an Outdoor Gourmet Sierra smoker. I'm aware of the fact that there are better offsets, but my budget is limited. Thinking about getting one in May. Is it a decent cheap stick burner?

Attachments

• 20631259.jpeg
    20631259.jpeg
    26.6 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: JLeonard
My advice? Don't do it. My first foray into smoking was a Charbroil American Gourmet from Walmart.
1648782080266.png

This thing had so many holes in it that needed to be plugged, and it leaked heat and smoke like a sieve. I'm pretty sure I spent more in hardware mods to seal it and get better heat retention than I paid for the dang thing. And then, if I wanted to smoke something like a brisket or a couple of pork butts, I had to stay awake all night tending the thing. Much like a boat, selling it was the 2nd happiest day of my life.

Nope, save your money and get something of better quality that doesn't need constant attention.

Yeah bro try lookin for sales at lowes, Home Depot and walmart. Sometimes u can find chargrillers and gravity feeds on sale for a couple hundred bucks and you don't need to be a pro fire tender with those

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Where are you located? As others said you will fight a cheap offset the entire cook. If you want a decent starter look at the old country, they are a thicker steel and do need a few mods but are under $1000. They are at Academy Sports.
Also what other grills do you have and what do you plan on smoking?
If you don't have a kettle you can smoke everything on a kettle that you can a cheap offset. And there are a ton of accessories for them.

I don't know how much that one costs, but it does look a little flimsy and the firebox is kind of small.
I got a CharGrller at Home Depot about six years ago for $300 and have been happy with it. I think you can still get them for about that price, maybe less because they have new models.
No "mods" other than sealing joints while assembling and adding a couple steel plates for baffling.
I was going to retire it and get a vertical but the Mrs has some serious medical bills so I think I'll just get a new firebox ($79) and carry on.
smoker.jpg

I know it’s not a stick burner but based on your budget perhaps this drum smoker would be good. Heck of a discount at Walmart and free shipping. This isn’t a Ferrari but it’s solid from the reviews I’ve read.
851446AF-DED1-418D-AE92-C1945D8C5918.png

you can smoke everything on a kettle that you can a cheap offset

^^^ THIS^^^

Unless you need an offset for the cooking realestate. Once you have a kettle dialed and settled in, it doesn't require much tending.
As everyone above recommends, there are better options out there.
If you really desire a stick burner, then save your money for a quality rig.

Last edited:
Reactions: jcam222
I may be an oddball, but I bought a cheap $20 offset on Facebook marketplace. I did do a couple mods to it, but not much. I just needed to find it's happy place temp wise. I enjoy the putzing with the wood burner.

I may be an oddball, but I bought a cheap $20 offset on Facebook marketplace. I did do a couple mods to it, but not much. I just needed to find it's happy place temp wise. I enjoy the putzing with the wood burner.

The first offset I worked with was a cheap Brinkmann that me and a friend got. The biggest problem was actually how much fuel we went through...using charcoal and wood chunks. That being said we actually did a couple of BBQ comps (the reason we got it and we were on a serious budget) and won got a couple of calls while using that thing.

So to the OP alan you can do pretty good with a cheap one if you are willing to put in the effort. It may be tough but you will learn a lot if you get it and stick with it. Or as others said save a little extra $ and get something else. The main thing is how soon you can save the money or how soon you want to start using an offsett.

Reactions: kawboy
I've cooked a bunch of good food on a COS but I ran it using lump charcoal and the Minion method with chunks for flavor. Doing it that way did allow for some minimal babysitting cooks.

I bought a cheap (price and quality) last generation Brinkmann offset as they were going out of business. I only wanted a larger charcoal grill than the kettle.
Decided to give the offset a try. I burned a lot of fuel trying to keep temps. Leaked everywhere. The charcoal wasn't free but I tried to use more splits as they are basically free.
I got some beautiful ribs and brisket off the thing though.
I have free resources so made a bigger fuel basket with angle iron legs so I could remove the ash during the cook (without removing the entire pan and grate.
I happily kicked it to the curb after I got a cheap pellet pooper (another story)
I still use my 22" kettle for a lot of cooking and smoking. New venture this winter was a Jumbo Joe 18" kettle and smoking.

I started off with a Kingsford offset I got for Christmas. I think it ran them about 250$ but that was quite a few years ago.

I enjoyed it. Sure it was work I was out there every 20 min or so to tend the fire but it got my foot in the door. I learned and had fun.

My advice? Don't do it. My first foray into smoking was a Charbroil American Gourmet from Walmart.
View attachment 627792

This thing had so many holes in it that needed to be plugged, and it leaked heat and smoke like a sin eve. I'm pretty sure I spent more in hardware mods to seal it and get better heat retention than I paid for the dang thing. And then, if I wanted to smoke something like a brisket or a couple of pork butts, I had to stay awake all night tending the thing. Much like a boat, selling it was the 2nd happiest day of my life.

Nope, save your money and get something of better quality that doesn't need constant attention.
I decided to wait and get an Oklahoma Joe highland reverse flow smoker.

Reactions: bigfurmn
Since it looks like I would need around $1,000.00 on up to get a good stick burner, I bought a Weber 22 inch premium kettle grill and will smoke meat with either that or my MES. I would love to have a quality stick burner, but have a limited budget

Reactions: BigW.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky