Things they don't tell you.... My first ever smoking session, a turkey.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm a bit disappointed in their website; can't find an instruction manual or an explanation of how and why these work. I get the idea they won't work with chips, only dust or pellets? Is it the device or the pellets that gives you so mny hours of smoke?

The reason an AMNPS runs for as long as it does with perfect Smoke is due to the Many Hundreds of hours of experimentation & testing of the materials used, the sizes of the perforations, the width of the lanes, and the height & shape of the interior walls. Todd Johnson made Smoking meat easier for Thousands of Meat Smokers.

You can find videos on YouTube that show how to use these wonderful inventions.

Bear

I still have a lot of learning to do. I love the wikipedia page on smoking, it's a great overview.

Until I get more experience, I'll stick with my chips. I'm thinking I didn't need so much smoke, once the flavor is imparted, it's all about just baking the bird, no?

In my very active fantasy mind I had imagined that smoking meat was the process of preserving and cooking by passing hot smoke over the meet. So, a smoke generator is what you want. But I now think that what we're really doing here is baking in an oven that produces smoke.

But as I said, I'm still ignorant. I'd like to learn about cold smoking, too, and how smoke without cooking can preserve foods.

I just prepared the brine for the second bird; in one gallon of water I dissolved two cups of non-iodized salt and a cup of white sugar; in a 1/2 gallon I lightly boiled one fresh, crushed garlic clove, a bay leaf, some peppercorns, and pinch each of ground thyme, allspice, mace, dry mustard, and paprika. Unlike the first time I combined these before they cooled, and I'll make up the water I need when I immerse the bird. I might not let the brine sit a day in the fridge as I did previously, too. Before I brine it I'll separate the skin from the breast as before, too. Then brine for a day in the fridge, rinse, dry, dry in the fridge for a day, rub and smoke.

I forgot to baste last time! This time I will, but I haven't decided on a baste. Maybe maple syrup and orange juice, or just butter? Recommendations appreciated.

BTW, thank you all, this is a very warm and collegial forum.

Regards,

jv

Second turkey done. Looks great. Super upgrade to the Cookmaster - a door seal/gasket. Smoked for 3 hours on the first load of wood. Only recharged once. This, in contrast to before, when I needed to add wood every 30 minutes.
2018-11-28%2019.08.52.jpg

Reactions: Bearcarver
Looks good from here. Hope it tastes as good as it looks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky