Thin Blue Smoke... Maybe?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mattnc

Original poster
May 12, 2014
Eastern North Carolina
Hello everyone,
I am brand new to the forums and brand new to smoking in general.
I have a MES 30 and today was my first day using it. I unboxed and "pre-seasoned" it using the following steps:
1-Run smoker for about 2h 15m (no liquid in pan, no smoke)
2-Add my AMNPS with about 3/4 of a full row of hickory pellets (after I lit it and let it burn for 10m per instructions)

I have been doing a lot of reading up and utilizing these forums quite a bit. I am attaching some pictures of the pre-seasoning process - is this the type of smoke I am looking for? (I know it's hard to photograph smoke sometimes, so I hope I have a good enough picture). It seems more of thinner white smoke - is this alright? If not, what can I do differently.

Planning to do a brisket in a couple of days to christen the smoker! Any/all help is appreciated. Thank you!
ubepagaq.jpg
pudyzypa.jpg
y6e6y7e6.jpg

Welcome aboard! For the seasoning that looks perfect. When you're smoking meat you'll wanna open that top vent all the way and the increased airflow should make that smoke thin and blue.

Matt, a big SMF welcome  

and the AMNPS can do that for you, no problem .
biggrin.gif
 Keep your intake vents open enough so you have air for the burning process.

You said you were doing a "Brisket" in a couple of days
confused.gif
 , and not to be a Party Pooper ,  but I would start with a Butt... or even a Chicken
icon_eek.gif
 . Reason being is both Butts and Briskets that tend to Stall their increase of heat to the middle of the Meat Mass due to melting of fat and tissue . You will need lots of "Patience" to get them done. Remember , you want to judge your time with this formula [for each pound of uncooked meat , allow 1.5 to 2 hours of heat @225*F and even add 2 to 4 hrs. of extra time just in case it is a stubborn Butt or Brisky.] 

Smoking Meat is not like Grilling , and takes some Practice and a lot of Patience . Having a good friend to pass the time  is my way of waiting out a stall. Don't get Flustered and up the heat to hurry it along , it will dry it out . (f you get tired of sitting or waiting , finish in the oven . With your MES though , the waiting will be easier just watch your ET732 and smoke production. The goodness will come , set and forget . I have planned on getting an MES 40", but that's in the future,  meanwhile I have a great deal of fun Babysitting My Stickburner

I've got it down to producing some fine grub:

Brisket -

was so tender the Point fell off...

and juicy ,tender and had a great bark.

Butts come out beautiful , and

Ribs ,outstanding.View media item 200684  not bad for an old plucker , Huh
banana_smiley.gif

Have fun and . . .

Matt,

Just so you know the most important word in "Thin Blue Smoke" is "Thin".

Even if you have Thin White Smoke you're good to go. The important thing is to not have any heavy smoke, but if you're using that AMNPS you won't have to worry about that.

Don't forget the QView,

Bear

Last edited:
Hey guys! Thanks for the responses. It has been smoking for a little over an hour - The smoke is no longer blue, but still slightly thin and very steady. Is this what I am looking for? It's not billowing puffs.
I could be paranoid, I just want to check with all of the smoking-veterans out there.

(Using about a 50/50 mix of hickory and mesquite in the AMNPS, filled all 3 rows about 3/4 way to the top. Ran the pellets in the microwave in a colander for 2 minutes, shaking/stirring after the first minute before loading the AMNPS, if that helps)

y7y2agaq.jpg
8ahemahe.jpg

That's the way mine looks all the time.     I would say your good.

Your smoke looks Great, Matt !!!  That's what I meant above by "Thin White Smoke"----It's Fine!!

You won't get too much smoke from lighting one end of an AMNPS, unless it jumps across rows, and then it won't last long enough to hurt anything, before it burns out.

Bear

Last edited:
Awesome!  Very happy I signed up on these forums.  You guys are outstanding with the quick responses and the helpful info.

I do have two last questions though.... Brisket questions.

I have been reading up on briskets, rubs, marinades, etc.  and the method I am going to do is, Smoke in a foil pan, uncovered and then cover the pan with foil until my meat probes read 195.  Then it'll come out and either be wrapped in a blanket or stuck in a cooler (still covered with foil) for about 2-4 hours before serving.

Here are my questions:

1) At what temp. should I go from the uncovered foil pan to the covered one?  (it is at 116 degrees right now after 1.5 hours @ 275 degrees - is it moving too fast? should I knock back the temp of my smoker?)

2) Does the above method seem to be a good one?  (I hope so, because its already been about 1.5 hours now lol)

Again, I appreciate the help as always.  I am glad to feel so comfortable here as a new guy in the smoking world.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Matt,

Your plan sounds fine to me.

I usually put the foil cover on mine between 160* and 165*.

You should add some juice to the package when you foil. See Below:

Below is a link to my Step by Steps. Just go there & click on Brisket or anything else you want to check on:

Just click on "Bear's Step by Steps".

Bear

Last edited:

Matt,

Your plan sounds fine to me.

I usually put the foil cover on mine between 160* and 165*.

You should add some juice to the package when you foil. See Below:

Below is a link to my Step by Steps. Just go there & click on Brisket or anything else you want to check on:

Just click on "Bear's Step by Steps".

Bear
Hi Bear,

I sent you a PM regarding my brisket, just a couple questions after reading your Step by Steps. I feel like my brisket is cooking too fast

Matt,

Just so you know the most important word in "Thin Blue Smoke" is "Thin".

Even if you have Thin White Smoke you're good to go. The important thing is to not have any heavy smoke, but if you're using that AMNPS you won't have to worry about that.

Don't forget the QView,

Bear
I'd agree with this.  From my recent experience, the smoke looks different based on several variables (wood type, weather, how seasoned the wood is).  My cherry doesn't hardly smoke at all.  You can just see heat waves pouring out the stack.  Where as my oak and hickory will put out the 'blue' looking smoke.

Biggest thing is just having smoke 'drizzle' out of the stack rather than pouring out.  

Thank you hickorybutt!  

It looks a lot better now, I guess with some time it thinned out even more and has a grayish/blueish tint to it.

I'm sure I'm too late, Matt, but I finally answered your PM.

Bear
No worries bud, I PM'd you back.  Brisket did not turn out the exact way I wanted, but I know what to do differently for the next time.  It was still good and everyone liked it.  

Thinking of doing some whole chickens next.

Thanks again for the help!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky