Thighs on the Kettle

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
Picked up a 10-pack of thighs and stopped at Home Depot to see about getting a vortex. Not a chance, I guess it's something that only comes online. Asked myself why in the hell would I need one of those, been doing OK without one on the kettle for 40 years now. Fired up a chimney of RO and dumped it out on one side of the kettle, loaded the thighs on the other side, tossed a yam and a hunk of hickory on the coals and put on the cover. Started my drinkin' and waited for the smoke to clear, maybe 45 minutes, then took a peek.
DSCN1493.JPG

Gave the thighs a little brushing of SBR a couple of times over the next half hour and called it good
DSCN1495.JPG

DSCN1497.JPG

I'm still trying to remember why I wanted a vortex in the first place. The thighs came out juicy and nicely done, buttered up that yam and finished up some slaw, was a decent dinner. I'm not buying a vortex until I can figure out why I thought I needed one. Thanks for lookin'! RAY

Great looking thighs. I've made them like you for longer than I can remember. I generally used my charcoal baskets. Worked fine.

I bought a knockoff Vortex just to see what all the fuss was about. Crispiest skin I've ever had on the thighs. Didn't take any special prep either.

Grilled some last night. A small chimney of new charcoal generates a high temp circulating heat. Is it a huge difference? No, but definitely noticeable.

Reactions: sawhorseray
Thank you both for the advise and comments. I still can't figure why I'd need one so I doubt I'll get it. I've done chickens, small beef roasts and racks of lamb on my kettles for years just like I did yesterday, sausage and burgers go right over the coals, 3-4 minutes a side. For over 40 years the Weber was the only way to cook a steak, now it's sous vide and the torch every time. I don't know what I was thinking, I don't need any more heat than the kettle has ever provided. RAY

Simply gorgeous Ray!! Great job. I absolutely love chicken and thighs are my favorite part. I just don't get to cook chicken here due to Tracy being allergic to it. Sadly I have to live vicariously through the rest of you most of the time. Those sure have the salivary glands working overtime!! Big LIKE on this one.

Robert

Those thighs made my mouth water. Thighs and wings are my favorite pieces of chicken. I’d eat wayyyy to many of those at a striking haha, big like

Great color! Not really a thigh guy but would tear those up!

What sort of temps you guys running thighs etc with or without vortex?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you all for the kind comments and likes, I truly do appreciate them. I just figured something out, the only wings I've ever cooked up were still stuck to the rest of the chicken. It's always the whole yardbird or thighs, a few times quarters. Never knew what the temp inside the kettle was either, thanks Chop! About the only times I've ever used a meat thermometer in the kettle was for a little prime rib roast, been doing chickens and steaks so long I just know when they are the way I want them done. Today is two whole weeks without a cigarette, must be the reason I can't sleep at night anymore. RAY

Beautiful Thighs Ray!!!
Nice Job!!
Like.
I'm with you, Ray. I don't bother with Those Meatless Wings.
I make Drums & Thighs----Thighs for Me & Drums for Mrs Bear.
The only times I eat Drums is when She can't keep up with Me!
When I run out of Thighs, Her Drums are "Fair Game for The Bear!!"

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky