ThermoWorks - Differences in thermometers?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

illini40

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 12, 2017
Hello

Can you help me understand if there is really any difference between the Thermapen, Classic Superfast Thermapen, and the ThermoPop?

For the differences in price, I'm curious what that gets you.

I have an iGrill 2 and I'm looking for an instant read to check temps.

The Thermapen is faster than the ThermoPop, but the ThermoPop has a much thinner probe needle.
I have both & use the ThermoPop more often, it's real good for measuring the IT of ribs, where you need to get between the bones & get an accurate reading. It takes about 2-3 seconds to read. The Thermapen takes about 1 second. As for accuracy, they both are very accurate, but you get a certificate with the Thermapen that guarantees it's accuracy.
Al

Reactions: joedube70
The Thermapen is faster than the ThermoPop, but the ThermoPop has a much thinner probe needle.
I have both & use the ThermoPop more often, it's real good for measuring the IT of ribs, where you need to get between the bones & get an accurate reading. It takes about 2-3 seconds to read. The Thermapen takes about 1 second. As for accuracy, they both are very accurate, but you get a certificate with the Thermapen that guarantees it's accuracy.
Al

Thanks Al. Seems like the ThermoPop is a great value at the price? I'm just a beginner and not doing competition stuff.

I was able to pickup an orange ThermoPop was the local BBQ store today. It feels quality, and I was impressed to find that it can with a little sheath/cover for the probe.

Looking forward to testing it out!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky